All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 1
I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 Liter engine. 2 days ago when cold starting a loud clattering noise comes from the engine, not transmission. After a few minutes after it warms up engine runs as smooth as ever. What could be going on??

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2036
without know what kind of noise or where in the engine the noise came from I would guess timing component lost it's oil prime. But you should wait until it happens again and see what you have to do to duplicate the noise. Once you know when it might make the noise leave it at a shop over night or something so you can have it happen where a tech can hear the noise.

contributions: 14
03 Town and country. Appears as though the AC clutch has come apart. Melted rubber and a loose ring. Making a hell of a noise. Can I repair this myself? Do I need some type of puller? I dont thing the clutch and pulley is one unit. Can I pull clutch and run the thing without AC until I can get it to AC mechanic? HELP... I wouldnt own it but its a Handicap version that i transport Mom with.

Thanks

contributions: 2036
the ac clutch should be able to come off and leave the pulley and bearing on the compressor. As long as the bearing is still good, you can leave the pulley on with the clutch off. Many times the clutch will drag causing excessive heat and could damage the bearing. after removing the clutch see if the pulley bearing makes noise when you spin it. Or start up the engine after you have removed the clutch and see how it sounds.

I don't think you should need any special tools to remove the clutch. It should be held on by a bolt down the center. The clutch might be stuck on by rust and grime so you might have to work on getting it off.

you should check price and availability on buying just a clutch or buying a clutch, pulley and coil set. (if the compressor is fine)

Ask A Question Reply