hesitation

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
samboy1960

hesitation

Unread post by samboy1960 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 pm

2002 pt cruiser 2.4 engine auto/trans car hesitates at 20 mph just started all of a sudden will not advance past 20mph :?: :?:

carriedi

Re: hesitation

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Tell me what your car does. (ie. I start to drive from a standing still position and it drives normally. As I accelerate it shifts from 1st to second gear at about 10 mph. Then when I approach 20mph, it doesn't go any faster. The rpms stop going up and stepping on the gas harder doesn't make any difference. 20 is as fats as it will go.)or (I start to drive from a standing still position and it drives normally. As I accelerate it shifts from 1st to second gear at about 10 mph. Then when I approach 20mph, it doesn't go any faster. The rpms go up but the car doesn't go any faster. 20 is as fast as it will go.)

I need more information so I can understand what your car is doing.

Given that, a plugged cat. a plugged fuel filter, a bad fuel pump all could make it so a car will top out at low speeds. Scan your car to see what the computer is doing while this is going on.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

samboy1960

Unread post by samboy1960 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:34 pm

got some codes for 2002 pt cruiser--p1790--p0700--p0733 installed a vehicle speed sensor still doing the same thing.still stalling when i get to 20 mph will rev but will not move faster. so far those are the codes coming out.please advice

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:26 am

ok, you don't have a hesitation problem. Hesitation is like a hiccup. Or a bog down before picking up. It's a lag before acting normal. You have a transmission problem from your codes. First thing is check all your fuses. Make sure they are all good. Make sure no one has removed any fuses. Your codes say there is a gear ratio error and a communication error. could be a TCM, a BCM, fuse blown or missing fuse, bad trans rpm sensor or a bad trans. (slipping) a bad trans temp sensor could cause this type of problem but since you don't have a code for that don't worry about it (but watch the temp just in case) You need to clear the codes and drive it with the scanner and graph the trans data stream to see what the input and output rpms are. watch for the shifts into the different gears and see what your transmission are doing.

after clearing the codes see if the trans changes gears when you drive it. Does the code come back right after you clear it? do you have to drive it for the code to return? Does the trans change gears?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.