Trouble starting when it's been run a bit

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
Lilbirds3

Honda has no spark no start

Unread post by Lilbirds3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor button, distributor cap, and ignition module. The engine cranks, but will not start. Any idea what this might be?

ProTech

Re: Honda has no spark no start

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

If it doesn't have spark after replacing all those parts, you're looking at a possible wiring problem, computer issue, or crank/cam sensor problem. If it does have spark, you're probably not getting enough fuel pressure or you have a timing problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

LyleK

Trouble starting when it's been run a bit

Unread post by LyleK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 am

I recently bought a 1994 Honda Accord from a friend and it runs great except when I begin to run it for a period of time, I have sometimes have to allow the engine to sit a while before it will start again.
Initially, it starts up right away.
The battery has been checked and is good and the starter turns just fine. It almost sounds like the engine gets choked out or flooded with fuel. One mechanic suggested a tune up but like I said before, it runs smoothly. No missing or skips. I just have to let is sit a while before it starts and then it starts right up with no problem at all. Not always, just now and then.

ProTech

Re: Trouble starting when it's been run a bit

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Probably a sensor or module problem, or ignition component failing after it gets hot. This is pretty common, but to find out exactly what it is you need to either have the car scanned for any trouble codes, or have a tech at a shop test drive the vehicle with a scanner attached until it acts up, then he can see what is going on or what part failed or glitched out. You probably shouldn't try and guess at parts, like a tune up, etc, without knowing some other information first.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

raneger

Unread post by raneger » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:43 am

No spark, check for voltage at the coil positive terminal when the ignition key is on. Battery problems are the number-one reason of no-start condition. Check your battery is to turn your headlights on. If the headlights come on and are nice and bright, not dim or dull, then it's likely your battery and its connections are okay.

Vugus

Unread post by Vugus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 am

The very first thing you need to do is check for spark and the presence of fuel. Both of these tests should be done simultaneously if possible. As mentioned before, usually one of them will be missing from the mix.