Both sliding doors have problems

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
LeanChar

Hope I'm worrying for Nothing

Unread post by LeanChar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 am

I have noticed that, for the last week, my 2004 Toyota Scion Xa has been releasing the hood, on it's own. Like I will get out of my car and notice that it's cracked open a little. Now, today the maintenance required light came on. It didn't stay on, though. I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

carriedi

Re: Hope I'm worrying for Nothing

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Don't know why your hood is opening. check that your hood release cable is not too tight or that the latch cam is not worn off.

The maintenance light will come on when you first start your car when you are getting close to needing a service. It will come on and stay on if you are over due for a service. It's for routine maintenance it's not like a check engine light
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

paulrhyan

Both sliding doors have problems

Unread post by paulrhyan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:28 pm

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna CE. I bought the car used about six or seven years ago. Early on we had problems with the rear sliding doors. These are NOT the automatic sliding doors. The problem we have always had is that they don’t always open when you pull the handle. Either from the inside or the outside we have always had to really yank on the handle to open the door. The driver side handle on the sliding door has broken off. No doubt due to the excessive pulling force required to open the door. Currently the driver side door will open from the inside but you really have to put some effort into it. The passenger side sliding door will not open from either the inside or the outside (the child lock is NOT ENGAGED).

Questions:
1) Does anybody else have this problem? Has there been a recall? It seems to me that this is a safety concern.

2) Where can I find information on how the latching system is supposed to work? Most of the information I find is regarding automatic doors or manual doors that do not stay open on an incline because the latching system doesn’t keep the door open.
a. How lazy are we that we actually need automatic sliding doors?!

3) How can I get the passenger door to open to perform any repairs?

Thanks in advance.

PR

carriedi

Re: Both sliding doors have problems

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:55 am

you may have bad door latches. Or dirty latches. have you tried to lube them up so see if that would help? most door latches rely on a return spring and catches to keep them in place. the latching mechanism must be able to spin freely on it's axis to allow the part to retract when the handle is releases it. Some latches use metal latches with rubber or plastic liners that can get worn and start to peel away causing drag that makes it hard for the latch to move correctly. Some latches have adjustable rods for the handles that over time may need to be adjusted because use has stretched the linkage out. You are going to have to take the door panel off and look at what is happening to the latch when the door handles are moved. Or take it to a shop and have them look at it for you
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.