99' Ford Explorer Sport turn signal multi switch

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
MatthewinGA

Re: 99' Ford Explorer Sport turn signal multi switch

Unread post by MatthewinGA » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Thank you very much for your help --->>>CARRIEDI !!!

MatthewinGA

Unread post by MatthewinGA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I’m back, turn signals stopped working. Hazards work.
All wires are connected.

Is it possible for this turn signal to go bad too.

Can the relay go bad?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:56 pm

okay, there are things that I need to know...

what does stopped working mean? when you put it turn, either way, what happens? Do the lights turn on but don't flash? Does nothing happen at all? Do that start to flash and then stop?

the turn signal flasher for the hazards and turns are the same unit. The white and red wire out of the flasher relay is for the hazards and the light blue out of the relay is for the turn signals. (they are the battery voltage to power up either part, turn or hazards. the hazards should have battery power all the time but the battery power to the turn switch should only be power in the run position. If you don't have power to the turn circuit check the fuse #10 (7.5A) in the left side dash fuse box. Power out of the #10 fuse goes through the orange and yellow wire into the turn flasher. It goes out on the light blue wire that goes to the switch. The switch connects the light bulbs which are grounded. could be a bad flasher.

check that light blue wire to pin 44 at the turn switch. It should have blinking power to the turn lights. Once you check that you will know which direction you have to check next.

MatthewinGA

Unread post by MatthewinGA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:56 pm

I totally forgot I posted this and didn’t see your reply until today 7/20, no disrespect intended. I hadn’t been using this vehicle lately and used it this weekend and remember the turn signals were not working. So I do apologize for not getting back. But would still need your help and can answer and follow your advice.

MatthewinGA

Unread post by MatthewinGA » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm

When I turn the arm for the blinkers each side may light one time or non at all and there is no clicking of the relay.

I will check the fuse like you said and report back.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm

If the lights blink even one time it's not the fuse. The fuse either allows power or it doesn't. If the lights blink once then the fuse is good. I would look at the flasher unit

MatthewinGA

Unread post by MatthewinGA » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Fuse is fine. One or two blinks and than sometimes no blinks. Then, smoke from #8 brown. Disconnected now.

Should I just pick up a new multi switch from the junkyard with a flasher relay?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:28 pm

the brown & yellow wire and the dark blue and white wire go to the trailer/camper adapter circuit. So if you don't use a trailer you don't need to use those wires for your truck. That being said, makes you wonder why it was smoking. Look for a short to ground somewhere.

the light blue wire is the wire that goes from the flasher to the turn signal switch. Power goes from the battery to the ignition switch. the ignition switch when turned on sends that power to the flasher on the orange and yellow wire. So you should see if you have power on the light blue wire. When you use the turn switch to left or right it connects to ground through the light bulbs. So, if you have power on the light blue wire and no power out on the light green and the white (left) and/or the wht/lt blu (right) when it's turned on the the switch is bad. If after a couple of blinks the light blue wire doesn't have battery voltage then the relay is bad

That's how it should work under normal conditions. Bad grounds and shorted wires can make weird things happen that affect numerous unrelated circuits.

let me know what you find out