93 ford ranger xlt

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
andreweversole98

93 ford ranger xlt

Unread post by andreweversole98 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 pm

i have a 93 ford ranger xlt 2wd with a 4.0 in it and when i drive it it will miss really bad bout 50 and shake really bad but when i give it a little bit more gas it smoothes out and ive chaned the plugs and wires and it still is doing it so what could be makeing it do it

carriedi

Re: 93 ford ranger xlt

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:01 pm

ford was not so good with diagnostics back in 93. they were getting better but still not up to par with Chrysler and GM. you will have to hook your truck up to a scanner to see if there is a data stream available or not. If there is no data stream the scanner won't help much. You will need to use a scope and see what is happening when it starts missing. Here's a thought though, why only at 50 mph? are you sure it's an engine miss? if it happens at 50 mph, does it happen in overdrive at 50? if you downshift to a lower gear so that your engine runs at a different rpm, does it still happen at 50? or does it happen earlier and is tied to rpm?

does the engine jerk badly? do you just feel a vibration in the steering wheel? does it feel like someone is shutting the key off and on real quick? Is it just an occasional tug or does it start bucking wildly? does your engine light come on? does it stay on? are there any codes, KOEO, KOER, history?

how long has this been happening? have you checked your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator to see if they are working normally?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

booksellers2

Unread post by booksellers2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:26 am

I have a 96 ford ranger with the same problem that you described and I was wondering if you figured out what the issue was. My email address is LGRLLL@comcast.net. I have already replaced the EGR valve, the EGR selinoid, and the PCV valve. Could it possibly be the fuel regulator? I seem to be using a lot of gas.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:15 pm

96 is much better to check out because it is OBD2. you can scan the data stream and also see if there are any codes stored. Use your own words and describe what your vehicle is doing and when does it do it? Warmed up or when it is still cold? All the time? only sometimes? Does the check engine light come on? Or is it always on?

so, any codes?

you should look at your fuel trims. see if the engine is running rich or running lean when it is acting up. That will tell you what area to look at.

dirty mass air flow sensor, bad fuel pressure regulator, bad fuel pump, bad fuel filter, spark plug or spark plug wire breaking down, and the list goes on and on. Need to narrow down the list by checking things out.

fivestring70

Re: 95 ford ranger xlt

Unread post by fivestring70 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Pulled the engine to replace oil pan and when I put the engine back in the truck it want move the clutch seem very spongy,can anyone help

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 am

did you read my response to you on the other post you made?

Now that I know you have a clutch, If you have a spongy pedal you probably need to bleed the clutch hydraulics. Here's the thing on the fords, some of the master cylinders point upwards as they stick out of the firewall. I don't know why they did that because that makes it so the air wants to stay in the master in a bubble at the top. If you have a master that is angled away from the firewall the also goes upward you may have to unbolt the master from the firewall and point it downward to bleed all the air out of the system.

here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91IYY_YENRw

fivestring70

Unread post by fivestring70 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Do you think that could be my problem?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:43 am

do You think this could be your problem? I can't see your car or test drive it. All I have is what you tell me.

Unread post by Guest » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:57 am

Yes thank you for that video it was a huge help.