88 Ford f150 4x4 won't stay running

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
cdyschlic27

88 Ford f150 4x4 won't stay running

Unread post by cdyschlic27 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:14 pm

My 88 Ford f150 will start with some help from gas in the throttle body, and pumping, will run as long as I keep pumping, makes a loud pop sound under hood, tries to bog down and then dies, also the rear anti lock light came on when it started giving me problems and is still on, I've replaced all 3 fuel pumps, regulator. Inline filter,4 injectors on driver side, cap and rotor, wires and plugs, alternator, starter, checked all vacuum lines, before it started running ruff I did do an fi cleaning, then about 2 months later started running weird then about 3 months later stopped running

carriedi

Re: 88 Ford f150 4x4 won't stay running

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 pm

you should verify your fuel pressure when cranking and when you can keep it running. You should probable put it on a scope to loot at your spark waveforms. the scope will show if you have cylinders running too lean.

you might want to look at your coolant temp sensor too. make sure it isn't way out of spec.

there are a lot of things that can make it so the engine doesn't run correctly. without being there it is hard to say what things it could possibly be. You need to check the basics. If you use carb cleaner (not starting fluid) down the throttle body (in spurts) can you keep the engine running? if you can then you know it probably isn't a spark problem. It sounds like toy replaced almost all of the fuel supply parts but do you know what the pressure is at the rail? there is a port that is made so you can hook up a pressure gauge ad read the fuel pressure. If you measure it and it reads normal then you look at the injectors, coolant temp, throttle position sensor and the idle control solenoid. Like I said there are a lot of things that you need to check out. Restricted cat could also cause starting problems too.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.