ford areostar van a/c unit making loud noise !

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
lightspeed

ford areostar van a/c unit making loud noise !

Unread post by lightspeed » Sun May 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I posted this here as they didnt have a van area .
this is the problem :

This is on a ford Aerostar van 3.0 liter engine my air conditioner in the aerostar had always had a slow leak i could put a/c in it and it held for about a year at a time (it has been changed over to r134 a a/c . )
I put in some stop leak this time before i put in the r134 a a/c then put in 4 cans of the a/c the a/c started kicking on on off ( i had it on maximum a/c while putting a/c charge in and turned cans upside down on each one before removing them . ) then a/c/ unite made a very loud sound ( sounded like a starter on a car was stuck while flywheel was going around ) so i shut it off real quick . . later i started it up and put it on low setting on the a/c and it did it again with the same sound .

On the sealant i put in the a/c i did just what it said after it was in i immediently put in the a/c 134a so that it wouldn't stop up the line where you hook up the a/c line to cans .
the sealant was bought at wal mart cost 22.00 and was called :r134 a super seal by interdynamics it says seals leaks in both rubber and metal parts .
did this stuff ruin my a/c unit ? that's what i am worried about ..
before when i used to put in new a/c recharging it it would get cold on the large tall round black thing (condenser?) under the hood area nest to the enclosed fan.and of course the a/c would kick on and stay on running when full , now it does nothing but makes that loud sound like a starter that's stuck !
Can you please help me ??? it will be getting hot very soon !!!
thanks !

ProTech

Re: ford areostar van a/c unit making loud noise !

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah, I never recommend trying to add anything other than refrigerant and the proper oil to any A/C system. It could have very well clogged up the compressor and/or other parts which is causing pressure differentials and other issues causing the noise. One thing I may note though, are you sure you're getting the proper amount of R134a into the system. Just adding can after can is NOT the correct way to try and get it to blow cold. You really need to make sure it's fully empty (by recovering the system) and then fill it to the proper amount (there should be a sticker under the hood with that information). If you've added too little or too much you can also do damage to the system. You might want to pay the money to have an A/C service performed at a shop just so you know the extent of the problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

lightspeed

Re: ford areostar van a/c unit making loud noise !

Unread post by lightspeed » Sun May 12, 2013 6:26 pm

thanks protech for getting back to me on this , i went back out today to try it again and was recording it with my camera on a tri pod and it wouldn't make that noise and the a/c unit was kicking on and off (like when theirs not enough a/c in it but it did seem to blow out cold air i had it on and off at different times for around 15 minutes , before after it was on about 3 minutes or less it started that loud grinding sound when the a/c kicked on , very strange . I will test it more tomorrow . I do have another question about something else but will ask it in a new topic .