starter will not stop turning

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
mrmuck

starter will not stop turning

Unread post by mrmuck » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 pm

1999 250 power stroke, starter will turn over but will not stop turning when key is let off

ProTech

Re: starter will not stop turning

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 pm

You either have a shorted starter solenoid that continues to send power to the starter, a bad starter, or there is a problem with the ignition where a short is causing it to keep cranking. I would recommend beginning with the solenoid connection, make sure no wires are touching where they shouldn't and then disconnecting it and seeing if your problem goes away. If it keeps cranking, you know your problem is from the solenoid to the starter, if not then it is before that point.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mrmuck

Unread post by mrmuck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I tried that,continuity between solinoid post to ground,thats the new solinoid! the old one does the same thing..... new rebuilt starter! no blown fuses, continuity between a couple of the smaller wires an ground with key off,none when the switch is on! would you might have a wireing diagram for the starting system an ignition,this is a diesel! 1999 ford ,250 7.? i really do appreciate your time for responding before, i am a poor man,but with show my appreciation in some way if you can help me resolve this problem....... its not my truck ,and dont have a manual,not even a fuse patten so i could check the different circuits,but bless you for trying!!!! with best regards ,Mike Arnold (mrmuck)

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:24 pm

You don't really need to check for continuity from those places to ground, as that pretty much means nothing. You want to check for power on the wires that should not be powered up except during cranking. Then you will find the problem easier.

I do not have access to any Ford diagrams, since I'm a GM technician, but good luck to you. One more thing, just because you have a 'new' rebuilt starter does not mean it can't be faulty already, so be sure to check everything thoroughly.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+