GMC constant roaring noise

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
mrschappell

GMC constant roaring noise

Unread post by mrschappell » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:18 pm

I have a 2002 gmc yukon. I have a serious problem with what we thought was my brakes. When I would drive it down the road and make any kind of right hand turn it would make a constant roaring noise. We replaced the brakes, even though they didnt need to be. Afterwards the truck was still making the same noise. So we thought maybe it was the cv joint since there was alot of play in the wheel. Well again it is still making that same noise. Its even worse now!! it makes a metal on metal noise when i go down the road and today when i drove it my brake petal started vibrating and was acting like it didnt want to stop and the abs light was flashing off and on. Do you have any idea what it could be??

ProTech

Re: 2002 gmc yukon constant roaring noise

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes, this is an easy and quick diagnosis based on the information you provided. What you have happening is the very common symptoms of a bad front wheel hub bearing. When a hub bearing goes out, it will make a 'growl' type noise as you drive down the road or get worse on turns.

Once bad enough, it will affect the operation of the ABS since the wheel speed sensor is built into the hub bearing assembly. Now, determining which front wheel has the bad hub bearing can be difficult. Jacking up the truck and seeing if there is any play in either side is a good way, but sometimes they can be bad with no play at all. You might want to get it checked out at a shop just to be sure.

Either way, a new front hub bearing/wheel speed sensor assembly will fix your problem!
Attachments
Hub-Bearing.jpg
Hub-Bearing.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Tommyt15

1994 Sierra 1500 5.7 Backfire and sputter

Unread post by Tommyt15 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 am

Driving around town is fine but if I'm on the highway for more than 30 minutes my 1994 GMC K 1500 5.7 truck will start backfiring and lose power to where I have to pull off the road. For example: I was driving up hill and as soon as the truck down shifted it started sputtering and backfiring. I pulled off the road and the truck idled fine, would rev up fine with moderation but if I stomped the gas pedal it would sputter and backfire. I let the truck sit for an hour and drove home with no problems. Two weeks later the same thing happened again. The check engine light does not come on and the gauges read fine. The truck is currently running solid. Any Suggestions thank you in advance!

ProTech

Re: 1994 Sierra 1500 5.7 Backfire and sputter

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Seems like something is getting hot and breaking down under load. This could be an ignition coil, distributor, ignition wires, pickup coil, plugs, etc. Possibly even a crank sensor (if equipped). You can try loading it up (brake torquing in gear) and try to determine where the issue is or what cylinder(s) are misfiring. The best way obviously would be to watching what is going on with a scanner.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

shackleferd33

GMC Sierra vibration in floor when accelerating

Unread post by shackleferd33 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 pm

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3l. When accelerating there is a vibration that I can feel in the floor. Does not make vibration on de-acceleration. Also does this when accelerating while turning. I thought it was coming from the front end but everything is tight so I am wondering if it is something in the rear end and is sending vibrations through the drive shaft where I can feel it in the floor. Any comments or advice would be appreciated thank you.

carriedi

Re: 2001 GMC sierra 1500 4x4 vibration in floor when acceler

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:51 am

I would check for a bad u-joint first.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.