Engine runs rough after running out of gas

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
lexen

Chevy 1500 sputters and backfires when warm

Unread post by lexen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:27 am

Chevy Silverado 1500. I have replaced the plugs and wires and the fuel pump and filter and the rotor, cap and coil. both temperature sensors . still sputters when warm takes about twenty min to start acting up idles fine and you can rev it up in park, but when in gear I get sputtering and even some back firing. please help.

carriedi

Re: 89 chevy k 1500 sputters and backfires when warm

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:34 pm

these trucks have problems with the egr system and the ignition module that can cause this type of problem. Also, spark plug wires can do this too. Just because they might be new doesn't mean you can discount them. You should get the truck scoped to see what is happening when it is acting up. Having a scope and a scanner to look at what is going on would help a lot to gather information. Bad grounds can do this too.

check the KV out of the distributor. If it's low with the new coil I would look at the ignition module.

drive with the erg unplugged and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes the EGR will open too early causing a lean condition.

With a scope hooked you can see what cylinders are missing, or maybe all of them are missing.

did this problem exist before you did all the work you did? Were all those things that you put on to fix this problem?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

mongecha

Engine runs rough after running out of gas

Unread post by mongecha » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 am

The engine runs rough on '03 GMC Envoy, would running out of gas cause problems with the gas filter as I've heard? Would a fuel cleaner additive work or what are other possible solutions?

TerryAuto

Re: Engine runs rough after running out of gas

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Yes, running our of gas causes the fuel pump in the tank to suck whatever is on the bottom of the tank. You may now have a plugged fuel filter or fuel Injectors. I would suggest to replace the fuel filter and then add a fuel system / injector cleaner which can be purchased at any auto parts store.