GMC Suburban Stalls At Idle Around Turns

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Gil990

GMC Suburban Stalls At Idle Around Turns

Unread post by Gil990 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 pm

I have a 2004 GMC suburban. When the truck is at idle speed the tach drops and the truck runs as if it is going to stall out.

Often times when dropping to idle speed while going around a corner the truck will half stall or stall all the way. It seems worse when the A/C is on also. What could be wrong?

ProTech

Re: GMC Suburban Stalls At Idle Around Turns

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Very common problem, and a very easy fix. You just need to give the throttle body a good cleaning and you'll be all set. There is excessive carbon build up inside the throttle body and around the throttle blade. This causes a lack of airflow, especially at idle, and/or with additional load on the engine such as having the A/C on. Use a good parts cleaner and get all inside the opening and around the blade, you'll see how black it is when you do this, and should be clean aluminum when done. Go for a long drive afterward so the idle can relearn a normal position again.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Unread post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am

The site won't let me pot a new thread. So does this sound like the same issue? While driving my Yukon the temperature Guage will bounce from 220 to bottoming out. Everytime it bottoms out the truck will stall out for a second or 2, then usually kick back on. It will run perfect for awhile then do this, sometimes once, sometimes repeatedly for several cycles. If I'm sitting at a stop light, sometimes it will die and take awhile to restart. I've had the fuel purge valve and vent solenoid replaced and it still does it. Also the tank will not fill past 2/3 full. The engine runs really rich causing gas mileage to be worse than normal.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:30 am

different problem altogether. you engine controller uses the temperature to figure out how rich to let the engine run because they no longer have a choke to allow the engine to run rich when it's cold. what year is your Yukon? and what engine?

you should drive your truck with a scanner graphing the coolant temp. See if the scanner values jump around like the gauge does. (should match gauge) when the gauge goes cold the computer will make the system run rich thinking it's a cold engine. Bad connection to the coolant sensor or a bad sensor would be the first thing to suspect.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

kwiseman81

Unread post by kwiseman81 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Mine is an 04 Denali with the 6.0 all wheel drive. I've have the not being able to fill the fuel tank issue for awhile and then if I try to fill it more once it clicks the first time then it takes awhile for the truck to start again. Just cranks and dies a few times before it will stay running. As far as the other issue, I'll hook up my scanner to it this weekend and see if the temperature matches. Thanks!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 am

On the fuel tank issue, do you have any evap codes?

kwiseman81

Unread post by kwiseman81 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:45 pm

P0118, p0327, p0420, p1115, p1637, u1056 were some codes I had before. I stopped trying to top it off and just been running it lately and I've got a p0420 code still.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon May 23, 2016 5:19 am

I am surprised that you didn't have code p0496. GM's have a problem with the purge valve getting stuck open so that when filling up all the way, fuel will get into the intake and flood the engine. It's not recommended to top off the tank so that it's totally full. Round of to the nearest $.05 maybe but don't try to get to the closest dollar. If you get fuel too far up into the filler neck liquid fuel could get into the vapor system. Getting liquid fuel into the vapor canister and vapor line. Eventually damaging the charcoal canister allowing charcoal to be allowed into the vacuum line up to the purge valve. Then the pieces of charcoal get stuck in the purge valve making it stay open.

next time it seems like the truck won't start after a fill up, do a "clear flood' by stepping down on the gas pedal all the way to the floor while cranking (wide open throttle while cranking the engine turns off the fuel from the fuel injectors so you won't be adding fuel to an already full of fuel engine) Just remember when it starts up let of the gas peddle. Don't let the engine rev up too high...