How to remove starter from Oldsmobile 98 Regency

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Riccky

How to remove starter from Oldsmobile 98 Regency

Unread post by Riccky » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 pm

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile 98 and I need to take off my starter because my car wont turn over, when I go to take off the starter there is something blocking they way to take off the starter like some type off housing that is holding it in that expands into the fly wheel. I have pictures if you would like to see.

TerryAuto

Re: How to remove starter from Oldsmobile 98 Regency

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Yes, that is the flywheel cover. This is a two piece plastic cover. There should be a 10mm bolt going straight up into the transmission and another one that goes horizontal, near the front engine mount.

Once you get those out, remove the covers and the starter will come right out. Be sure you have the battery cables off or you will arc the cables on metal and cause more problems.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

chump

1990olds 88 won't start

Unread post by chump » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Car quit while driving,it turns over but won't run what can I check

carriedi

Re: 1990olds 88 won't start

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 pm

first thing you can easily check is: do you have spark.
if spark is ok, I would check fuel pressure. you will need a fuel pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure because you need to know how much pressure you have. 3.8L should be 40 - 47 psi. Then you should check for fuel injector pulse. While the engine is cranking, the fuel injectors are all powered up on the pink and black wire. (each injector will connect with two wires. one will be the pink and black wire. - the power wire) The other wire goes to the computer. The computer grounds the circuit to fire the injector. If you unplug an injector and use a test light between the two terminals in the connector you should see the test light blink as the engine is being cranked over.

so, that is the first basic thing to check for. Spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse. If you don't have all three of those things the car won't run. Once you find out which one is missing then you know what direction to go.

Now, here's the thing... you could have all three things being good and still the engine won't run. But that's for later. basics first
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.