1995 oldsmobile achieva dash and tail lights don't work!

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
Myk2015

1995 oldsmobile achieva dash and tail lights don't work!

Unread post by Myk2015 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:43 am

One day I turned my car off and it wouldn't start back up when I turn the switch over the dash gades work but it won't turn over or make a noise, then my dash light went out then a could days later my tail lights went out, my head lights, blinkers, brake lights work! I can figure out what to do about it not starting and what could be wrong with the dash and tail lights, fuses are good!!

carriedi

Re: 1995 oldsmobile achieva dash and tail lights don't work!

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:13 pm

do you have a volt meter of something to check your battery? And/or a test light to check for battery voltage to certain circuits?

the start wire out of the ignition switch is yellow. if goes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch. It should show battery voltage in the start position. When it leaves the neutral safety it comes out as a purple wire and goes to the starter solenoid. If you have battery power on the purple wire, make sure it is connected to the starter solenoid. The battery cable should have a big cable that goes from the battery to the big terminal on the starter. make sure you have a good connection on each end of that cable. If every thing so far checks out good, check to make sure you have a good ground to the engine block and also to the body. If all the powers and grounds are good it would point to a bad starter.

your light issue may be a totally separate issue. Tell me what is going on with your lights? When you say dash lights, what lights are you Talking about? The warning indicators? the cluster back lighting? The LEDs for the odometer?

If you are talking about the instrument cluster lighting that is adjustable with the dash dimmer switch, that circuit is tied to the parking lights. They are powered by the TAIL LPS fuse (20A) in the fuse box. they are separate from the turn, brake and headlights. To check that you would look to verify the power in and out of the light switch. The orange wire is the power in and the brown wire is the power out. If you don't have power on the orange wire check the fuse and wiring. If the orange wire has power but the brown doesn't then the switch is bad. If they both have power but the lights don't come on, check the wiring.

Make sure your battery cables have a good connection at the battery.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Myk2015

Unread post by Myk2015 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:19 pm

All of the instrument lite come on like normal and go off but the check brake light stays on along with the anti-theft light! The dash lights stopped working out of no where about a week ago my dad figured out why the car wouldn't start it was the ignition switch!!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 am

ok, lets figure out what you mean... do your parking lights work? (front marker lights and tail lights. thaey are tied in with the instrument cluster lighting) Did you check the tail light wiring I told you about before?

Now that you have said that the brake light and the anti-theft light stay on, what do the lights actually say? Or is it a picture? Are the lights red or yellow? The anti-theft, is it the yellow light that says security? Does it stay on solid or is it blinking? If it is on solid but the engine still starts and runs normally then you probably have a communication code stored that started after the vehicle was running. the brake light, is the red light or the yellow abs light? Have you checked your brake fluid level? Most cars have a brake fluid level sensor that will turn on the red brake light. The parking brake will turn on that light too.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.