car dies for no reason

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
fugate49

car dies for no reason

Unread post by fugate49 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 am

i have a 94 olds eighty-eight royale,i am having trouble with it dieing at slow speed,it is very easy to start back,well also put a new master cylinder on the anti-lock brakes but now all it does is chime that there is no fluid in it and the brake light and the anti lock brake light stays on,been told the anti lock brake motor is shot,and it will cost a lot to get it fixed,any help wqould be appericated thanks

carriedi

Re: car dies for no reason

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 am

you should have your car scanned your idling problem. you mat have a throttle body that is getting coked up. Check your IAC values.

the brake problem also could be scanned. If your brake warning light is on it may be a fluid float is stuck if you have one. It could be the park brake switch is not working correctly. If you replaced your master, was the light on before you changed it? Why would the ABS be bad after you did your master if it was good before you did the master? why did you replace the master?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

fugate49

Unread post by fugate49 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:18 pm

the brake light never was seen til master cylinder was changed,the reason was there were no brakes,the master cylinder did not lose any fluid,they told me it was the master cylinder,replaced it but the car chimes and the brake light is on if you plug the senor into the master cylinder,it is like the master cylinder does not match,i have brakes with sensor unplugged,so i drive it unplugged,hope this helps

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 am

If the plug in on the master doesn't plug in to the harness you may have the wrong master. With the harness not connected the fluid level sensor will think you are low on fluid and turn on the warning light. It shouldn't affect normal braking but it will turn off the anti-lock braking. (ABS light on means the ABS is turned off usually). You should talk to the place where you got your master cylinder from.

fugate49

Unread post by fugate49 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:58 pm

they tell me it would cost about one thousand or more to get the abs brakes fixed right,they said for me take the older master cylinder jug off the old one and put it on the new one,or take the sensor off the old on and put it on the new one, or they tell me to bypass the abs brakes and rig up regular brakes.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm

who is telling you this? If your master cylinder won't plug into your replacement master cylinder you can switch the reservoirs if it is replaceable. It should have a roll pin by each port. you have to move the roll pin so the plastic reservoir is no longer held in by the pins. switch the reservoirs and them move the pins back so they hold the other reservoir. Then your old reservoir should plug right in. However that being said, a correct master should match up to your car.

You can not assume your ABS is bad just because your light is on. ABS looks at your fluid level to make sure you have enough fluid before it activates and uses the fluid. It doesn't want to pump air into the system if the fluid is low. If you scan the ABS it might help you out. BUT, THE RED BRAKE LIGHT FIRST!. then if the red light is out and the abs light is still on look at the abs for a problem.