AC blowing out freon

bigdogbelz71

AC blowing out freon

Unread post by bigdogbelz71 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 am

i have a 2003 suburban and i noticed near the condenser towards the bottom white "smoke" billowing out. Soon after this the A/C started to be cool instead of cold and now the air temp went from low 40's to mid 60's and is getting worse.
My cousin and i replaced the orifice tube thinking it may be clogged, but it wasn't. After recharging the system it worked for a few days, then the same thing happened, so now we are thinking maybe there is a pressure switch that isn't working or maybe the condenser is clogged causing the pressure to build then releases at the path of least resistance, but doesn't release all the freon, because there is still some cool air coming out.

carriedi

Re: AC blowing out freon

Unread post by carriedi » Tue May 09, 2017 2:15 pm

without using gauges to see what pressures you are running, everything will be guessing and using the shot gun approach with parts. There is a pressure switch on the receiver-drier but it works off the low side pressure. without gauges to see what the low side pressure is, how are you going to see if it is working correctly or not?

if you have a leak is the system, it will work until the pressure drops below the value the pressure switch is set at. then the low pressure switch will cut power to the compressor. Those switches do go bad and you could buy one and see if that fixes your problem. But if the system is low, the switch is working normally and you just wasted the money for the switch and you still have to find out what's going on.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

carriedi

Re: AC blowing out freon

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 11, 2017 3:17 am

If you actually saw refrigerant leaking out near the condenser then you would have lost pressure and the ac system will loose pressure and turn off the compressor. Putting a set of ac gauges on the system will tell you if you are empty, low or how the system is working.

if you have a leak you will need to fix the leak or the refrigerant will just leak out again. Changing the pressure switch won't make any difference for a leak
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.