5.7l Chevy Not firing

Dannmo

5.7l Chevy Not firing

Unread post by Dannmo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 am

New help with my truck I have replaced everything but the engine it's a 5.7 Chevy can't get no spark from coil I replaced it still nothing has power to it anyone have any ideas please help

carriedi

Re: 5.7l Chevy Not firing

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am

do you have battery voltage to the coil when the key is on? If you have battery voltage to the coil then you need to check to see if you are getting the ground signal from the distributor. A logic probe works good for this because as you crank the engine you put the logic probe tip on the negative (-) side of the coil and it should flash green and red. If you have only power, Probe stays red, on the negative terminal then you are not getting the ground from the distributor. If the tip shows only green then you don't have power coming through the coil. If you don't have a logic probe you could hook a tach/dwell meter to the ground side of the coil and see if you have a dwell signal.

points and condenser or electronic ignition? 5.7 (350) was used for a long time. Year make and model would help out on diagnosis.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

turb06

Re: 5.7l Chevy Not firing

Unread post by turb06 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:08 pm

if tbi engine, probably the Ignition starter switch in the the steering column. when the barrel cylinder rotates to the start position I sends an "ok" signal to the ecm which in turn tells everything else i.e. fuel pump, ignition coil, distributor and so on all to get to work. it also does other obvious things in each key position but I don't need to tell you about that. About 130 buck for a desent one. (DO NOT GET USED) do yourself a favor. hope this helps ya.
oh... also, a dead give away that this is your issue, blinkers and reverse lights wll not work. flashers will but not individual sides. goodluck