1992 Chev silverado A/C

stevep

1992 Chev silverado A/C

Unread post by stevep » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:49 pm

1992 K 3500 Silverado. Big block. A/C compressor 3 years old. A/C wont run.
It DID actually run one day last summer after i hadnt tried in in months. But not since.
The clutch will actuate if I jump it from battery. Any ideas?

Thanks

carriedi

Re: 1992 Chev silverado A/C

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:27 pm

low charge or a bad cycling switch will turn off the compressor. If you can power up the ac clutch by jumping it means that you aren't getting battery power to the clutch. Power comes from the controls to the low pressure cutoff switch on the receiver dryer. If there is enough pressure in the system, the switch will allow the power to go to the clutch. Unplug the cycling switch and see if you have power (from the controller) on one terminal and ground (clutch coil) on the other. (with the engine running and the ac turned on) if you have a good power and ground at the wire harness, then you have a bad switch or the pressure is too low to turn the system on. If you don't have a power or a ground, follow the wiring and look for a problem.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

stevep

Unread post by stevep » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 am

OK Thanks... Where is the cycling switch located? I can check the power at the plug. I assume that you mean the plug at the compressor. Im NOT an A/C guy ...

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 pm

the cycling switch should be located on your receiver drier. it will look like a sensor on or very close to a metal container close to where the ac lines go into the firewall. It should have two wires going to it. there may be a cycling switch on the back of the compressor too.

here's a pic of the receiver drier
Attachments
drier.jpg
Chevy Silverado A/C drier and cycling switch.
drier.jpg (18.93 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

stevep

Unread post by stevep » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 am

LOL Do I feel Like Dummy! I checked the cycling switch yesterday and found that it had worked loose. I took it off and firmly put it back on making sure the clip captured the tit on the switch. VIOLA !!!! A/C !!! I drove around half of last summer in AZ with the window rolled down. I'm such a procrastinator.... Thanks for the tip .... too funny. I want you all to share in a good laugh at me cause believe me, I'm laughing too.