All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 14
1992 K 3500 Silverado. Big block. A/C compressor 3 years old. A/C wont run.
It DID actually run one day last summer after i hadnt tried in in months. But not since.
The clutch will actuate if I jump it from battery. Any ideas?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2049
low charge or a bad cycling switch will turn off the compressor. If you can power up the ac clutch by jumping it means that you aren't getting battery power to the clutch. Power comes from the controls to the low pressure cutoff switch on the receiver dryer. If there is enough pressure in the system, the switch will allow the power to go to the clutch. Unplug the cycling switch and see if you have power (from the controller) on one terminal and ground (clutch coil) on the other. (with the engine running and the ac turned on) if you have a good power and ground at the wire harness, then you have a bad switch or the pressure is too low to turn the system on. If you don't have a power or a ground, follow the wiring and look for a problem.

OK Thanks... Where is the cycling switch located? I can check the power at the plug. I assume that you mean the plug at the compressor. Im NOT an A/C guy ...

contributions: 2049
the cycling switch should be located on your receiver drier. it will look like a sensor on or very close to a metal container close to where the ac lines go into the firewall. It should have two wires going to it. there may be a cycling switch on the back of the compressor too.

here's a pic of the receiver drier

Attachments:
File comment: Chevy Silverado A/C drier and cycling switch.
drier.jpg
drier.jpg [ 18.93 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

LOL Do I feel Like Dummy! I checked the cycling switch yesterday and found that it had worked loose. I took it off and firmly put it back on making sure the clip captured the tit on the switch. VIOLA !!!! A/C !!! I drove around half of last summer in AZ with the window rolled down. I'm such a procrastinator.... Thanks for the tip .... too funny. I want you all to share in a good laugh at me cause believe me, I'm laughing too.

Ask A Question Reply