96 z71 trans problem

kent r

700r4 tranny problems

Unread post by kent r » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I have an 85 chevy 4x4 silverado, and the transmission shifts from first to second, but will not go to third or fourth gears. Any help or suggestions?

TerryAuto

Re: 700r4 tranny problems

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Sounds like maybe a proble with the low roller clutch.
Internal for sure.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

Chevymike

96 z71 trans problem

Unread post by Chevymike » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm

I have a 96 z71 it ran good until it was envoled in a wreck on driver side now just test drove it first time after i fixed it and the trans is acting up shifts in to 1/2 but 2/3 shifts hard and it shifted into overdrive once but it went right back out. Now it wont shift into overdrive had to do some heavy fixing replaced the driver finder, hood, grill, headlights, interfinder well, radiator, clutch fan, and radiator support and driver door. What is worng with my truck?

carriedi

Re: 96 z71 trans problem

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 am

you might want to take it to a transmission shop and have them drive the vehicle with a scanner on it to see what is happening according to the computer data stream.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Chevymike

Re: 96 z71 trans problem

Unread post by Chevymike » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Ok thanks for ur help

truckerdad

engine/tranny moved back, now no reverse and tranny noise

Unread post by truckerdad » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:59 am

Hi folks brand new here. I've got a weird situation with my buddies 02 silverado 2wd. It seems his engine/tranny slid back(?) against his fire wall. It looks fine under the hood to me as far as position except the passenger side rear spark plug wire is definitely touching fire wall. Then again, I'm not real familiar with this truck so I have no point of reference. He was getting on the freeway at about 35mph when he heard a thud and pulled over. He was able to limp it along home but tranny makes noise at above 25 - 30 mph. as well he now has no reverse. I looked under the rear cross member where the tranny mount is bolted to xmember and the washer seems to have moved back about 3/8". I jacked up the truck and then put a jack (carefully) under the engine to see if the rubber on the front mounts had seperated and had caused the engine/tranny to move but both sides seemed ok. The driver side did look separate but when jacking under engine, the whole front end lifted, telling me that the rubber hadn't separated. Also, the u joint had a dab tranny fluid on it. So, uhhhhhh? Anyone?

Karl

Re: engine/tranny moved back, now no reverse and tranny noi

Unread post by Karl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:44 pm

The number 8 spark plug wire does just about hit the firewall, so that is normal. There is no way the engine and trans can slide back. If an engine mount was broke, the torque would just cause the engine to move upward. The way the mounts and brackets are, it cannot slide back- impossible.

With no reverse and the transmission having a noise, something broke inside. If you pull the pan down you will probably see metal pieces. Sounds like the trans I going to have to come out for repairs.