Belt keeps coming off my Chevy Truck

Pauloo2

Belt keeps coming off my Chevy Truck

Unread post by Pauloo2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I have 1994 chevy k1500 the belt came off of it replaced it and it still kept coming off. i noticed that the tensioner was cracked and i replaced that as well still same results.

It seems to either the belt is walking off. I spun each pulley by hand they seem to spin freely what could cause this and how do i fix it? I have done nothing to the truck before it starting doing it.

ProTech

Re: Belt keeps coming off my Chevy Truck

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I would make sure first that you have the belt routed correctly. If it's going the wrong way, or on a pulley different than normal, it can come off rather quickly. If you're sure it's on right, remove it and check the alignment of all of the pulleys. This can be done with a straight edge or other similar tool. You could possibly have a pulley that has walked out a bit and causing a mis-alignment condition. That will also cause a belt to come off. Make sure there are no leaks or moisture that is getting on the belt as well.

If you're not using a factory belt, you might want to consider getting one. Aftermarket parts can be different and cause issues as well.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

stevep

Re: Belt keeps coming off my Chevy Truck

Unread post by stevep » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:14 pm

I had that happen tp my 92. Silverado.. It turns out the front Plate was cracked. Everything bolts to that plate. Power steering, A/c Alt... If it Breaks , which mine did under normal usage that belt will never stay on. I know All the pulleys look aligned but I guess when power is applied the plate Torques and mis aligns things just enough to toss the Belt. PITA.. Remove everything from it and take off plate and look for the crack, weld it and make CERTAIN all the bolts supporting it are there, Mine was missing one and I never had it off.