2002 Impala crank but wont start sometimes!!!

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
ImpalaCrazy

2002 Impala crank but wont start sometimes!!!

Unread post by ImpalaCrazy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:03 pm

I have a 02 Impala and I have changed the fuel pump, fuel pump filter, and the bcm. I have had the bcm programmed by the chevy dealer they also reprogrammed the theft system. But the car still at times will not start! I don't know if it helps to know that sometimes the turning signals don't work and the light for the gear placement is out on the dash. It always cranks like it wants to start but it doesn't. When I tow the car to the shop the funny thing is that it starts for them then when I get it home after it runs for about 20 mins and I turn it off it won't start again. Please Help!!!

carriedi

Re: 2002 Impala crank but wont start sometimes!!!

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:54 pm

you should check the power going through the ignition switch. you have a pink wire that comes from the ignition switch that powers up in "on" and "start". It goes to the stop fuse, turn fuse, abs/pcm fuse and the SRS fuse. When the vehicle doesn't start and the turn signals don't work, check all those fuses in the left side instrument panel fuse box. With the key in the on position see if they are all powered up.

it sounds like a bad ignition switch from what you describe. The turn signal not working is a big clue.

If there is no power to those fuses with the key in the on position, I would put power to one of those fuses on the battery side of the fuse and see if the car starts up then. I use a power probe 3 to check fuses and it can also supply power and ground to check circuits. Be careful not to overload or blow something.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ImpalaCrazy

Unread post by ImpalaCrazy » Thu May 25, 2017 7:45 am

I have checked all fuses and changed the ignition switch it worked good for about a week then the same problem once again

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 am

you're going to need to do some testing. you need to check the power going through the ignition switch. If you have the same problem then the turn signals are not working again too? A shop can only check for your problem if it is doing it when they check it. If it works normally for them then everything will show up as normal because everything is normal. It starts up. They may need it for a while until they can get it to act up and then they can look for what's missing.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.