have a code p0742 on my Chevy impala 3.4

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
mwogan1

have a code p0742 on my Chevy impala 3.4

Unread post by mwogan1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:39 am

I need to no where the shift solenoid is on 2003 impala 3.4 and how to get it out.

TerryAuto

Re: have a code p0742 on my Chevy impala 3.4

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am

This code P0742 is for the TCC solenoid not a shift solenoid. It is located on the valve body with the other solenoids.

This is not something that can really be done in your garage. You will need a lift and several special
tools. The solenoids and valve body are located inside the side cover of the transmission. The
cover is accessed through the drivers side wheel well.

The engine / transmission assembly needs to be supported with adjustable fixtures, the left side of
the frame needs to be lowered after removing several items, while supporting the engine /
transmission assembly. Then the engine / trans assembly would be lowered out of the bottom of the
car far enough to get the cover off. Sometimes easier to remove the frame completely. Once the
cover is off, the solenoids and harness can be removed. Expect to pay approx. 5 hr. labor at a
repair shop.I will send a couple of pictures in a few minutes of the TCC valve location as viewed with
the cover removed.
Attachments
Chevy Impala tcc solenoid.jpg
Chevy impala TCC solenoid location.
Chevy Impala tcc solenoid.jpg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 22880 times
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

mwogan1

Unread post by mwogan1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:16 pm

I put the tcc solenoid on and new shift sensers there is this other guy on here said it was the presure solenoid i hope not tje code was p0742

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm

OK. Then if not the solenoid, you could have a problem in the valve body or an actual bad torque converter. You are going to have to have a tech drive it while watching live data to determine what the proiblem is.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

Unread post by Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:33 pm

I have seen the steel balls in the case or valve body wear out the steel separator plate between the case and valve body cause this code. The pressure control solenoid also goes bad on these so if you replace the separator plate do the PC solenoid too.