99 malibu misfire cylinder 1

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
brittneyballentine

99 malibu misfire cylinder 1

Unread post by brittneyballentine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

OK. I have had this car for a couple months. The check engine light has always been on. Was told when I got it that the car was just cold natured. I have already had room have the air/heat worked on. Now a hose with antifreeze in it busted behind the motor. I had the hose fixed and now it runs so much worse. It dies while I am stopped and runs really bad. It seems to get worse everytime someone touches it. I took it to auto zone and they put it on the computer and said the only thing that popped up was a misfire on cylinder 1 I have had 5 people look at it and they all say something different. One says it is vacuum leaks. One says they have No clue. One says it is the crank shaft sensor. I have already had all the spark plugs and wires and coil packs changed. Can anyone help me. I don't wanna spend a whole bunch of more money on it. I just need it fixed!

ProTech

Re: 99 malibu

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Well, if you still have the check engine light on, and possibly the misfire on cylinder number 1 code, you really need to concentrate your diagnosis in that area. I would also recommend getting it scanned at someplace other than an auto parts store. Sometimes their scanners are very generic and don't pull all the necessary information.

If you're still misfiring on cylinder number 1, you either have a bad spark plug, ignition wire, or fuel injector. You might want to check for spark on that cylinder, and/or try a compression test just to make sure you have that as well. If you notice any metallic noise in that area, it could be that a rocker arm bolt has pulled out of the cylinder head. That can cause a misfire and rough running condition too, so it's something to consider.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

beefers

Re: 99 malibu misfire cylinder 1

Unread post by beefers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 pm

more then likley the head gasket is going bad or has gone bad i have an 02 malibu and that is the code that it brought up on me and watch for white smoke from tail pipe and watch coolant leveles

rocket442

2004 malibu missing

Unread post by rocket442 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:25 am

Replaced timing chain and heads on 4cyl 2004 Chevy Malibu. Car was missing...compression was good in all cylinders. replaced coil. Ran good for a short time...then started missing again. Anyone have any ideas....

carriedi

Re: 2004 malibu missing

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 pm

need more info. How do you know your car is missing? check engine light flashing? codes stored in computer? when does it misfire? idle, cruise, under acceleration, all the time? Why did you do the timing chain and heads? When you took the engine apart did you find any problems? did you have your heads resurfaced and pressure test them?

a scanner will help you find out which cylinders are missing and then you can concentrate on what is affecting those cylinders
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

rocket442

Unread post by rocket442 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 pm

threw timing chain..which in turn bent the valves. used heads installed. Compression test on all the cyl good. Car misses all the time. Installed new coil. Car ran fine for a few minutes..then started to miss again. Now it just misses even at idle. No check engine light is on...I thought he said he scanned it and no codes came up

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 am

you should use a scanner that has a misfire counter. While the car is running it will show all the cylinders and which ones are missing and how much they are missing. Then you know what cylinders to check out
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

uptkliff

Unread post by uptkliff » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I have a 1998 malibun3.1 check engine light flashing scanned misfire 6cyl so I changed everything plug,wire,injector,coil pak,and icm and its still flashing to only reading p0306 has anybody heard of this or dealt with this type of problem the engine runs smooth no rattle no knock until cel starts flashing then it runs real rough