98 monte carlo engine problems

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
jsisco

2000 cheyv monte carlo bogs down

Unread post by jsisco » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Bogs down on moderate to heavy acceleration, also won't idle when warm. Don't know if their related. Small V6

Ronny

Re: 2000 monte carlo

Unread post by Ronny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 pm

Have the fuel pressure checked.
Inspect the spark plug wires and ignition coils.
Check for vacuum leaks.

vern254

98 monte carlo engine problems

Unread post by vern254 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm

My 1998 chevy monte carlo idles fine but bogs down when engine reved and when driving only goes very slow whats wrong?

TerryAuto

Re: 98 monte carlo engine problems

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 pm

If the check engine light is on, get that scanned for any stored trouble codes.
You could have somehting simple like an engine misfire caused by a bad spark plug, plug wire or ignition coil. There may be a code P0300 in the computer. Sometimes this won't set a code though.

Your car could also have a low fuel pressure problem. Installing to a gauge to check that would be needed.

Another possibility that is common for your Monte Carlo having absolutely no acceleration power is a plugged catalytic converter. When plugged the engine can't breathe properly. This will usually set a code P0420- "catalytic converter efficiency low". Maybe even and EGR or MAF sensor code too. An experienced mechanic would be able to drive it and tell if this is the problem. Or, you could diconnect the exhaust pipe at the rear manifold, before the converter, and if it clears up, that means the converter is plugged.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

monteman

2005 monte carlo help

Unread post by monteman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:52 pm

i have a 2005 monte carlo lt 3.8 v6. the other day i was driving it and it out of nowhere died. it wouldnt start back up after that. i got a friend to help me get it back to the house and left it for a day. came back to it and it will turn over but wont start. i checked the fuel rail and it had fuel in it. i wasnt getting spark when i tried to get an arch on the head. so i took the icm into auto shop to get it tested and it came back working. i dont know what to do now

carriedi

Re: 2005 monte carlo help

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:34 pm

if you are sure you don't have any spark you should see if you have a crank sensor signal.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.