2001 Chevy Malibu check engine code p0446

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
bjjmerrill

2001 Chevy Malibu check engine code p0446

Unread post by bjjmerrill » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu. The gas gage and the temp gage both on the dash are not working. I also have the check engine light on. Got the code p0446. Not sure if all three are connected or not. Not sure what would cause the gas gsge not to work. That is the one thing I need to get fixed. Can someone please help with some information?

carriedi

Re: 2001 Chevy Malibu check engine code p0446

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:44 pm

the gas gauge and the temp gauge both are on different circuits but go through the data stream to the instrument cluster. You can verify the temp sender with a scanner. if the scanner shows the correct temperature then the cluster may be at fault

the code P0446 is for an evap vent system restricted or blocked. Usually the evap vent solenoid stopped working. Normally to check this would be to use a smoke machine at the evap port or with a gas tank adapter. with the key off the vent solenoid should be open and with the smoke machine on smoke should be coming out of the canister vent. If no smoke is visibly coming out of the vent then, using the scanner, you would turn the vent valve open and closed to see if it is clicking and it is opening and closing.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.