Car dies while driving

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Gloriana

Car dies while driving

Unread post by Gloriana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:09 am

This is 2nd time this week my daughters 199 Chevy Malibu died while driving it. We changed the plugs n wires ( which were original from factory) after we found out the large FUSE to ignition was blown. But not now.. Is there something else that can b causing this dangerous problem?

carriedi

Re: Car dies while driving

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 am

there are a multitude of things that can cause an engine to stall while driving. Can you tell me which fuse blew out before? How many amp and what does the fuse legend say the fuse is for? Was the fuse in the engine compartment or in the dash fuse panel?

After the car died the second time, was it being driven down the road and died while it was cruising? (just noticed that the engine lost power and the dash lights came on and that's how you found out the engine stalled) or did it die when the car came to a stop? Did the engine restart right away after it died?

what year is, and what engine does your Malibu have?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi.. It's a 1999 Malibu and the fuse box under hood in engine. A large fuse. Sorry don't recall the one it's for but if you're facing windshield from outside car, it's on right side closest the bumper direction.
The car died while driving approx 30 mph and wouldn't restart.
My neighborhood mechanic thinks it's the fuse again and I suspect it's ignition coil or vacuum line off somewhere or gap is wrong on plugs. It runs strong but clunks into reverse snd now sounds like hole in muffler. Hmm

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm

It's a 6 cyl LE model malibu if this hrlps

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Oops LS model.. Dsughter said lights came on before it died and the temp gets went up

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Temp gauge

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 am

Update.. Replaced fuse from a 40 smp to a 60 amp n car started and is still starting . Will check ignition coil and plugs n Heater blower to see if thsts causing fuse to blow.
Thank you

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:34 am

changing a 40A fuse to a 60 amp could be hazardous. A 40 amp system has wires that can handle 40 amps. The fuse blowing is a protection for the wiring. The fuse blows so the wires don't overheat and cause a possible fire. Bumping up to a 60 amp fuse, you no longer have that protection. You should find out what the draw in the system is. You neighborhood mechanic should look up what that fuse goes to.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Gloriana

Unread post by Gloriana » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 am

That makes sense. Thank you! I'll tell my 'mechanic' of fuse danger! And to be diligent on finding the cause.