Chevy cavalier no power steering

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
beeler54321

Unread post by beeler54321 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:05 am

hello my name is Denver i am at a loss....my wife's power steering hose was leaking so i took it off and replaced
it with a new one and now her power steering pump as far as i can tell seems to not be working...
and yes i did bleed it!! i just don't know what else could be going on...please any help i feel
so bad and like a jerk i broke my wife's car!!! car info...2001 Chevy cavalier 2.2L 5 speed

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am

what do you mean when you say it's not working? I understand no power steering assist but is the fluid moving? you say the old hose was leaking, did you find that because it started to make noise and you checked and it was low in fluid? Did you just notice a leak under the car and then go to fix it? Was the pump run low for an extended period of time? Did the power steering stop working and then you saw a leak and fix the hose but the power steering still doesn't work?

when you start your car now, does the pump make any noise? you say you bled it, normally when you bleed the power steering the pump will make noise as the air in the system is forced through the pump. as you proceed through the bleed process the noise lessens and the you either let it set for a time and let the rest of the air rise to the top or you vacuum the system and suck the air out. When you are done the pump will make just a slight noise as pressure is exerted on the system. (normal noise) did you experience the reduction of noise as the air was bled out?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.