Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4L base with 68k miles on it and I am having a problem with the acceleration and coolant level.

About every other time I start the vehicle, the car accelerates on its own, to the point where I am riding the brake when driving on a level road. When the car is engaged in park, it seems to be idling high. Also, when the car does accelerate on its own, I can hear a high-pitched whistling coming from the engine.

The coolant level has been under the cold mark for the last few days. I have added approx. 1.5-2 quarts of Dex-cool. Today it stayed at the cold line and did not require more fluid. I was alerted to the problem because I could hear liquid flowing sounds coming from the dash.

Any advice on what I should do? I have brought it back to the dealer and he has been willing to work with me, but he was not able to replicate the acceleration problem.
The dealer did tell me that the lower intake gasket had been replaced recently. I took apart the air intake and cleaned the throttle body and the IAC, but it hasn't helped.

Thanks for any advice.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 1990
the high pitch whistling sounds like there may be a vacuum leak somewhere. Unmetered air would cause the oxygen sensor to see a lean condition so the pcm would increase the pulse width to bring the exhaust readings up. You may want to get a scanner and drive the vehicle and graph the readings of the fuel trim, O2 pre-cat sensors, TPS, maf, map, and TAC. See what is happening while the condition is happening. It this something that happens all the time or just intermittently? If it does look like a vacuum problem you could use a smoke machine to find the leak. You may want to check for pending codes or mode 6 information to diag. for this problem. There have been problems with random acceleration from dirty throttle bodies holding the TPS up. (ie. 26-29 when normal would be 14-19)

Ask A Question Reply