chevy monte carlo ss 2003

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
sumara90

chevy monte carlo ss 2003

Unread post by sumara90 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 pm

My car is having trouble with jerking movements when i shift and the abs and trac off light intermittenly come on and off and at times when i try to brake the brakes become hard immovable and all of a sudden they give in and i slide into an intersection. then at times when i drive and stop and try to press the gas to start again it takes a second and whines and then the car starts to move and a slight shaking happens. also the lights and systems are starting to flicker on and off and thats if they work at all. ive changed fuses and flushed my transmission. please help cant afford to put on machine at chevy....anyone know of any codes or anything that could be wrong ?

ProTech

Re: chevy monte carlo ss 2003

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 pm

No one can tell you of any codes that may be wrong, since no one knows what's going on with your car. You'd really need to get it scanned to see if there are any relevant codes stored in any of the computer modules. No point in guessing, because you'll always be wrong.

Otherwise, it seems you have a couple different issues going on there. The first would be the transmission and shifting issues. The whining and slow to engage (slipping) into gear from a stop tell me that you've probably got some serious transmission problems. How was the fluid before you flushed it? If it smelled burned, or was dark in color, you can bet the trans is letting go. You might want to remove the pan and see if there is any debris lying in the bottom.

The second problem with the ABS and Traction lights coming on, and the brake 'feel' problems, is most likely a bad wheel speed sensor and/or harness. This is fairly common on the Monte Carlo's. Again, you'd really need to get it scanned to see which wheel speed sensor is acting up. If replacement is required, you'd have to install a whole new hub bearing assembly, as the sensor is built into it. Wiring issues can be present there and cause the same type of issues. Check for any corrosion at the connector or presence of moisture in the loom. A typical issue is one or both wires corroded and either broken, or barely together causing your signal issues.

Quite a bit to check here, and unfortunately it probably won't be cheap to fix.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

sumara90

Re: chevy monte carlo ss 2003

Unread post by sumara90 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 pm

thank you so much for your reply and information. i did infact have it checked out and it would cost more to fix it than it is worth. i am picking up my new car tomorrow.