2000 Monte Carlo tach flutters in overdrive

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Gsxr1000

2000 Monte Carlo tach flutters in overdrive

Unread post by Gsxr1000 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 pm

My Chevy Monte Carlo has 130,000 and when in overdrive between 50 mph and up, the tach will flutter from 2000 rpm to 2 and a 1/2 and it does it in 3 gear too. I did a tune up with spark plugs, wires, fuel filter and had the transmission serviced but it is still doing it. No codes. Please help??

ProTech

Re: 2000 Monte Carlo tach flutters in overdrive

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Sounds like you a transmission slipping problem. That can cause the rpm's to go up in gear when you aren't actually meaning it to. A tune up and repairs of that nature will not help a problem like this. You will have to have the transmission looked at by a mechanic, or a qualified person who can test drive it and get a feel for what it's doing. More than likely, you'll be looking at needing a transmission overhaul.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

scotty

Re: 2000 Monte Carlo tach flutters in overdrive

Unread post by scotty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm

You are probably right ProTech, but also, i have seen a few problems with the torque control solenoid (TCC) on the Chevy Monte Carlo. The TCC is applied in 3rd gear as well as overdrive. If it is acting up, the TCC will go off and on. This will give an increase and decrease in RPM.

The purpose of the TCC is to lower engine RPM and save gas mileage in the process. A transmission tech will need to take it for a drive and watch scanner data to see if the TCC is going on and off.