1997 Chevy Malibu Crankshaft Variation Learned

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Paul

1997 Chevy Malibu Crankshaft Variation Learned

Unread post by Paul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:13 am

Problem with my 1997 chevrolet malibu

Work done to repair this problem = the crankshaft position sensor and harmonic balancer has been changed
GM tech = kk
question = after changing the crankshaft position sensor a code stating that the crankshaft position variation was not learned. what does mean and what do i have to do to clear this code so that the engine light will go off?

A code saying that the catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. what does this mean and what do i have to do to clear this code so that the engine light will go off

Meccboy

Re: 1997 Chevy Malibu Crankshaft Variation Learned

Unread post by Meccboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 am

The crank position variance relearn needs to be done with a scanner. The code cannot be cleared until this procedure is done. This needs to be done because of the crank sensor replacement.

Catalyst threashold can be caused either by a faulty Oxygen sensor, or a faulty catalytic converter. Reading live sensor data and testing of the oxygen sensor would be needed to determine which one is faulty

iceangel511

car starts and shuts off

Unread post by iceangel511 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:19 pm

I have a 2002 chevy malibu. Just had ignition switch and ignition cylinder fixed. Now car starts but shuts off immediately and the power door lock remote and manual wont work.

willwildy

Re: car starts and shuts off

Unread post by willwildy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Well your ignition has the start position which engages the starter and applies power to the ignition system and then the run position which applies power to the ignition but not the starter. Sounds like your not getting power in run. It used to be cars had a ballast resistor to drop the voltage to the coil while the car was running to make up for the extra voltage coming from your alternator. There being a nominal 13.6 volts when the car is running and only about 12 when it is not. Your car is too new for something like that but I am quite sure there is an electronic equivalent to it. Buy a haynes manual on your car and look at the schematic of your ignition system. If you can't figure it out scan the schematic send me a PM and I will do my best to decipher it for ya.

Bill

P.S. If your gonna be a do it yourself tech than you need a haynes manual on your car anyway.
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE

Meccboy

Re: car starts and shuts off

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 am

This may also just be a matter of doing a re-learn of the theft system. Engine starting then shutting off after a few seconds is a function of the theft not learned. The theft sensor is in the ignition cylinder, also known as the " Passllock Sensor". But the the door locks dont make sense. The door locks are controlled by the body control module (BCM), as well as the theft system. Sounds like maybe a bad BCM. try searching for the theft relearn procedure at https://www.greatautohelp.com/make-mode ... alibu.html