2001 Grand Prix takes a while to start

Wdk0903

2001 Grand Prix takes a while to start

Unread post by Wdk0903 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 pm

I have a 2001 Pontiac grand prix for about a year and a half it would periodically have issues starting. I would turn key all lights and bells would come on but it would not turn. I would keep turning on and off eventually it would start. I was told could be a dead cell on ignition, but it would work fine when taken to shop. Any suggestions?

ProTech

Re: 2001 Grand Prix takes a while to start

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

This is a very common problem on yours and similar vehicles from GM. A faulty ignition switch or ignition cylinder can cause the problem you are having.

If you see the 'security' light illuminate once you've tried to start it, this would be an issue with the ignition cylinder. If no security light comes on and you're just not getting it to crank, I would suspect the ignition switch.

If it's a switch, it can be installed and is plug and play. If it needs a cylinder, which also includes a new Passlock housing, then the theft deterrent system would need to be relearned.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

goodwinbj

2002 Grand Prix, 3.1, Noise when accelerating

Unread post by goodwinbj » Thu May 25, 2017 9:48 am

I am getting a twittering (squealing, chatter) noise under acceleration. As soon as I let off the gas the noise goes away. Happens whether in park or drive.

carriedi

Re: 2002 Grand Prix, 3.1, Noise when accelerating

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 am

there are so many things that can make unusual noises on cars that you will need to give more information for some kind diagnosis to be made. Noises are terrible because I need to hear the noise and listen to where it seems to be coming from. And, that's when it's right in front of me.

Is it coming from a belt or tensioner? Is it from an idler pulley or maybe the alternator? Is worse when the engine is cold or warm? Could it be the exhaust is plugged up and air is escaping under pressure? Is it pre-ignition?

if you slowly raise the engine speed, what rpm does the noise start? Does it keep getting worse as you raise the rpm?

Have some one use the gas pedal and have it make the noise while you are looking at the engine with the hood open. Can you localize the area it seems to be coming from? Is it coming from underneath by the exhaust?

so many things...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.