2004 Grand Prix, loss of power at lower speed & stalls

jenninky

2004 Grand Prix, loss of power at lower speed & stalls

Unread post by jenninky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 pm

My 2004 Grand Prix will start & seems to turn over with no problem, I have a loss of power when at a stoplight or when trying to take off to drive. A few times while starting to drive it has stalled on me & fortunately I was leaving a parking lot & not on a main road. It will try to stall when sitting still for instance at a stoplight or drive through but I can usually keep it running by holding on the brake & giving it gas (not good for the car I know). I have no problem when I have it going at higher speeds say on the interstate, it is only when it is running or driving at lower rpms. The actual dashboard temperature gauge on my car never seems to be running hot unless that is faulty too. I took it for a scan & several codes came back...you can see them all below. Any thoughts on where to begin fixing the issue? Thanks for your help!

P1106 MAP Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage, P0506 Idle Control System, P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, P0135 Oxygen O2 Sensor Heater Circuit, P0134 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity, P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature), P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input, C0245 Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error & C0035 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor

carriedi

Re: 2004 Grand Prix, loss of power at lower speed & stalls

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:38 pm

wow, that's a lot of codes. It's unusual that all those codes happened at one time. Has the service engine light been for a while but your stalling problem is something new? Or did this all happen at once?

The O2 heater code is a separate code for a particular type of failure.

the thermostat code is for the engine taking too long to warm up. A totally different type of code.

the map, idle and misfire codes may ar may not be related to each other.

the ABS codes are a totally other tyoe of code.

The thermostat code is usually set because the engine takes to long to warm up (in most cases a bad thermostat) That doesn't usually cause other codes.

the O2 senser heater code is usually a bad o2 sensor. check the heater circuit to verify your power and ground. If both are present at the o2 sensor then the heater is probably burned up.

The abs codes should have anything to do with your idling.

the map codes, the idle code and the misfire code could all stem from a bad idling problem. A misfire will affect the idle and air flow. the air flow could affect the idle and misfire. the idle control could cause problems with the map and misfire.

The baro code would make me check that part out first.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jenninky

Unread post by jenninky » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes, the light has been on for a while. The garage I was taking it to said that he couldn't reset the abs light after he did my brakes & I had to have a brake line put on. Then he couldn't reset the engine light due to sensors but that everything was fine. Needless to say I am not going back there. I appreciate your answers & your time. What is the baro code if you don't mind me asking...I am a beginner at this so I will google as well.

I have tried to read up on various forums online & I thought about starting with checking the vacuum line & cleaning the throttle body along with the MAF sensor. This, I think, will be a good place to start from what I read. Then go down the list & work on the rest. But I could be completely off. I will start with what you suggested. Thanks again!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:52 am

the ABS codes mean that because the light is on the ABS system will be turned off. You brakes will still work but no anti-lock. It won't affect the engine. (usually, stranger things have happened)

Baro is for barometric sensor. Key on engine off the reading should very closely match the barometric pressure. But if the engine has been running rough it might set this code.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jenninky

Unread post by jenninky » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:59 am

I cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the spark plugs...seems to be running better. Next will be the abs system & the wheel sensors. Hopefully I have the idle problem fixed!