03 3.1l cooling fan not working

slimsgarage

03 3.1l cooling fan not working

Unread post by slimsgarage » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:11 am

I have a 03 grand prix 3.1l , the cooling fans arent working. Ive replaced all fuses and relays to do with the fan assembly and replaced the fan assembly. I've tried to get them to kick on by turning the a/c on and still nothing. I've ran out of ideas

carriedi

Re: 03 3.1l cooling fan not working

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

So, is your engine temperature going into the red on the temp gauge of is a light coming on for overheat? Is your AC shutting off from pressure too high in the condenser?

the PCM doesn't turn the low speed fan until the engine temp reaches 223F. AC won't turn the fan on until the ambient temp reaches 122F or the pressure get to 190psi.

The high speed fan doesn't come on until the engine temp gets to 130F. AC when the pressure gets to 240psi.

you should use a scanner and watch the temp and/or the ac pressure to see if the computer is requesting the fans on. Then verify that a signal is going out to the relays. Can you turn on the fans by jumping the relays? Does the PCM see the engine getting too hot or the AC pressure getting too high?
Attachments
3.1 fan circuit.jpg
3.1 fan circuit.jpg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

slimsgarage

Unread post by slimsgarage » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 pm

I've ran the car i. The driveway for a half an hour the temp never got to mid range but hot air was blowing out. Also the a/c clutch never reacted when i turned it on either. My buddy was driving it the other day and he said that the temp gage was getting too high i dont have the machine to plug into the car to check the way you mentioned, and i have not tried to jump the relay to see if it kicks on . I'm not sure how to do so

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 pm

how high was the temp reading on the gauge? some gauges are going to go to about 3/4 toward hot before the fans come on. Center of the gauge should be about 210F about the normal temperature for a modern running engine.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.