2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

jwm69chevy

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Unread post by jwm69chevy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Not starting. The dealer suggested I start with a new key, that didn't work. Next they suggest the BCM can that be changed without being reprogrammed? Dealer tells me no it can't be changed without reprogramming another told me it was plug and play. But the vehicle don't start the interior lights flash and clicking noises any suggestions? Thanks

carriedi

Re: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:12 pm

does you car have an after-market alarm system? or is it just the factory security system?

is the security light coming on?

you should have the vehicle scanned to see if there are any security codes stored.

I would not replace any components until you have deduced that they are not functioning. make sure that you are getting the correct signals to the security module before you replace thing or you might just be spending money for no reason.

what does "no Starting" mean? No crank? Cranks, no start? Cranks and starts and dies right away? Need more information. When you say the interior lights flash do you mean the dome light system? Do the parking lights flash also?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jwm69chevy

Unread post by jwm69chevy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:25 pm

It has the factory security system. The security light on the dash blinks but the dash security light does not stay on.

When you go to start it it won't even turn over just the dash lights come on and the overhead lights no headlights. They blink and click like the computer system is trying to reset its self.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:22 am

I would check the voltages going through your ignition switch. also the voltages in the body control module. make sure you have a good battery connection at the battery and the grounds at the body and the engine.

the security light flashing is usually a sign that the security module is not seeing the correct voltage from the key's signal. It might be that you need to do a relearn for your key. But, if you have a problem with relays clicking and other light and things not staying on or blinking on and off you may have a wiring voltage problem.

A scanner would be able to look at the different modules and see what the voltages are. A bad ground or poor connection to power could cause you to have problems like this. If there is a voltage problem in the system that would cause the theft deterrent module to read the wrong voltage from the key signal. However, that being said the anti-theft should only turn off the fuel injector pulse. the engine should still turn over.

your start ing system should have battery power from the Ignition Main 1 fuse. a 40A maxi fuse in the under hood fuse panel. It goes out as a red wire but may change to a red and white wire at the ignition switch. You should verify that it has battery voltage at this wire. Then check the yellow wire to see if you have battery voltage when the key is in the start position. The yellow wire goes out of the ignition switch and goes to your neutral safety switch. If the neutral safety switch is in park or neutral it should have a purple wire that allows battery voltage to the starter solenoid.

Do you have full battery voltage to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position? (you can test it at the starter solenoid terminal or pierce the purple wire that goes from the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid) If you do pierce the wire use liquid black tape or something similar to seal the wiring insulation back up to prevent moisture intrusion.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jwm69chevy

Unread post by jwm69chevy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you, will check more into it tomorrow. Borrowing snap on scanner. Thanks for pointing me in the wright direction. Didn't think we would get any reply. Will let you know when we get it fixed.

Jessycarpenter

Unread post by Jessycarpenter » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 am

I have the exact same issue. The same year and model too. Did you remedy this issue and if so what was wrong?