Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply    Go to page 1, 2  Next

contributions: 7
I have a 2003 Grand Prix SE, I have replaced the fuel pump with a new one and the relay switch is clicking when the key is turned, regardless, the fuel pump is not kicking on. Any suggestions where to go next?

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 665
Can you tell my why you replaced the fuel pump in the first place? Did it run prior to your repairs?

GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

It would not start and taking the fuel line off of the filter produced no fuel. Assumed fuel pump was not working.

Ok, so if the relay clicks, you know at least the PCM is telling the fuel pump to turn on and so the wiring from there should be ok. You might want to check and make sure you're getting power at the fuel pump connector, and check ground also. You could have a wiring issue somewhere along that area.

Also, if the new fuel pump you installed came with a new connector that you had to wire in, make sure you've got all the terminals correct.

If you've got a check engine light on, or security light on, either of those can disable fuel, so you'd want to get the car scanned and see what codes are present.

I verified the placement of all wires to the new module plug by matching the letters on the terminals. I am currently on my second Delhi fuel pump that produces the same result, pump kicking on, cutting off after a few seconds, but no fuel is coming from the flow line. There is a junction box that the fuel module wires go to. How do I knnow if its bad?

I'd recommend checking the terminals once again. I actually got burned on one before by putting A to A, B to B, etc. That is what you'd think should work, but the actual terminals on the factory connector don't translate to the new one, and I've seen included directions with a new pump be wrong also. Just something to consider, it may not be that, but it sure sounds like something in that area isn't right. Also, I highly doubt the block on the body is bad, never seen that before. You can check it by testing for power and ground before it and after it, that would tell you it's ok.

If the letters should not be trusted, what can I use to ensure correct placement? In your experience are the colors on the wires more or less reliable?

What brand fuel pump did you install? Where did you purchase it at?

Ask A Question Reply    Go to page 1, 2  Next