Throttle Position Sensor and T-Connector

richwoelbling

2005 Grand Prix dies while in motion

Unread post by richwoelbling » Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm

my car will just die and the readout will say " "starting disabled due to electronic throttle control". It will remain unable to start for 10 min or so then restart and the readout will say decreased engine power. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

Meccboy

Re: 2005 grand prix dieing while in motion

Unread post by Meccboy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:32 am

This is a problem in the electronic trhottle system.
It could be either a pedal position sensor problem, which is internal to the gas pedal, of a throttle body body. The codes would need to be scanned to determine what area has the problem.
When the computer (PCM) sees a problem in the electronic throttle system, it does not know where the throttle is, so you get the conditions described above.

kohl

Throttle Position Sensor and T-Connector

Unread post by kohl » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello Everyone,
Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3800 Series II
I attempted to replace my TPS, but I cannot access the bottom screw because the engine mount and upper hose is in the way. I am afraid to do anything with the hose because I do not know if it will split or the clamp will break...reason being is because I attempted to my fuel line out of the way by taking the T-Connector vaccum hose off the throttle body, but it was dry rotted and crumbled. I went to my local parts store and they did not have any, however, I was able to find a T-Connector that was split (not as bad) at the junkyard. Is there a mini torx screwdriver that I can buy that will fit between that tight space and where can I find T-Connector vaccum hoses that connects the fuel pressure regulator,the throttle, and the fuel line?

ProTech

Re: Throttle Position Sensor and T-Connector

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Two different things you can try to get access to the other throttle position sensor bolt....you can take the two bolts out of the thermostat housing and move that and the hose out of the way as one unit, then you won't have to worry about the hose as it will still be connected to the t-stat housing....OR....it's very simple to remove the entire throttle body from the intake, then you can replace the TPS on the bench. The throttle body is only held on by three 10mm nuts. Either way you choose is sufficient to do the job, it's just which ever one you're comfortable with. You will not be able to access the screw any other way.

As for the vacuum connection, you will nothing but run into trouble by trying to fit a vacuum tee to the line. They never fit right and will end up setting a lean code on your car's computer. Your best bet is to replace the entire vacuum harness that goes from the throttle body to fuel pressure regulator to purge solenoid. It's only about 30 bucks and you'll be all good after that.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kohl

Re: Throttle Position Sensor and T-Connector

Unread post by kohl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 am

Ok, I will move the thermostat housing because that is what I thought about doing yesterday.

Also, I would prefer to have the manufactured T-Connector vaccum hose for the car, as I was never confident in those vaccum tee's, but I did buy one and some hose for an emergency purpose. I got one off of a 3800 engine at the junkyard and it is cracked, but I needed something because mine completely crumbled. I bought this vehicle in September and don't believe tghe prior owner took care of the vehicle at all. I'll try to order the part from a certified GM dealer in my area.

Thanks