cooling fans not working on Grand Prix

jmswnfry

01 grand prix se coolant leak

Unread post by jmswnfry » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 am

01 grand prix se is leaking coolant from behind the timing chain cover down onto motor mount. where is the coolant coming from?

ProTech

Re: 01 grand prix se coolant leak

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:25 pm

There are a couple different areas that can leak down that direction on your car. First it could be a leaking intake gasket. Those are pretty common to leak on the Grand Prix's.

It could also be a water pump leaking, which is another common issue on your car.

Or, as you stated in your question, it could actually be the timing cover leaking coolant. This is less common, but not unlikely to be your problem. A leak usually needs to be looked at by a tech in person so they can really get a good look at the entire area and find the problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

chadder9

cooling fans not working on Grand Prix

Unread post by chadder9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm

ok i have a 2003 pontiac grand prix that neither cooling fans will work. even when i turn the ac on i cant get them to work. i have replaced the coolant temp sensor, thermostat and blead the system. when i jump the relay one comes on. also if i command the high fan control with the scan tool they work. im completly stumped.

ProTech

Re: cooling fans not working

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Since you can command the fan on hi, or jump one of the relays, that at least tells you that the fans are functional and it isn't a motor problem. I would first start by checking all three fan relays that are located in the underhood fuse block. You could have one bad relay that is taking the whole system down. Also, there are two different fuses for the cooling fans, also located in the underhood fuse block. Check to make sure neither of those is blown.

If all of that checks out, I'd lean towards a PCM problem where it isn't turning them on when it should. Since you can command them on, I would also assume that the wiring is good. One thing you can check, if you have a scanner where you can watch the data stream, is see if once the car reaches operating temperature, see if the PCM is getting a signal to turn on the fans....even when you turn on the A/C you can see this as well.

I'd be sure and check that the PCM can actually see the temp from the temp sensor, too.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

tracybunkelman1

99 grand prix hose

Unread post by tracybunkelman1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Im working on a 99 grand prix ,3800 v6 .,a friend drove it to the ground blew a head gasket so im running block seal .thats all good but while removing hoses theres one that sits to the front of the alt I have no idea where. He other end goes? Ive ran across more issues but ill see the responce time from this first

carriedi

Re: 99 grand prix hose

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:38 pm

is it one of these hoses?

Parts Catalog
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.