Grand Prix speed sensor housing

jackmac1958

Grand Prix speed sensor housing

Unread post by jackmac1958 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:04 pm

hey guys ..i need some help..my daughter has an 2003 grand prix.3.1 motor automatic.she told me yesterday that the car would not shift and the speedometer was in op. so i thought it was the speed sensor,,i went to check and replace the sensor only to find out that the housing that the speed sensor sits in was cracked and separated from the tail shaft housing ..is it possible just to replace the tail shaft housing without having to buy a whole new transaxle? waiting for you reply.. thanks ,jack

ProTech

Re: RE: speed sensor housing

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm

Yes, you can replace just the output shaft housing, it's actually the final drive housing. You might want to get a new vehicle speed sensor as well so you don't have to replace it later on. Be sure to add any transmission fluid you lose during the switch.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

al3rd

04 grand prix trans replacement

Unread post by al3rd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I replaced the transmission on my 04 grand prix. Now the starter wont roll over by the key, but i can start the car by touching the positive wire to
the purple wire on starter. I did notice that the plug located on the top of the trans i just put in doesnt have the same amount of pins as the original.
Could this have something to do with the plug? could it be the safety neutral switch? It has a3800 motor not supercharged. the trans switches gears
great when i test drove it. the people i bought the trans from called it a series 3 trans.

ProTech

Re: 04 grand prix trans replacement

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:22 pm

It could surely be something to do with the transmission swap. Since you say the amount of terminals in the other plug differ from the one that was originally there, that can cause a lot of different issues from shifting problems, starting problems, and computer issues.

It could be the neutral safety switch, or even a bad starter is not out of the question. The first thing I would check is to put a test light on the purple solenoid wire at the starter and have someone try and start the car. If you get power there on the test light, then you just have a bad starter. If the test light does not light up, then you have another problem causing the car not to start, such as the trans harness or neutral safety switch.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+