2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT loses power and RPMs jump

Unsure

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT loses power and RPMs jump

Unread post by Unsure » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

What would cause an'01 grand Am GT to lose power when accelerating? The RPMs also flutter-almost like the transmission is slipping. When you let off the gas then it will straighten up a little,shift gears, and you can accelerate. The RPMs have been fluttering for a while, but used to only do it in Overdrive, so I nought there may be an issue with the transmission...now,I'm not really sure what to think. The transmission repair shop hooked it up to a diagnostic computer and found no problems and doesn't seem to think this is what it is.

carriedi

Re: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT loses power and RPMs jump

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:06 pm

does the engine sound like the rpm's are jumping (does the engine match the tach) if your trans is slipping it will raise the engine rpm and there will be a power loss but that (to me) would be different than fluttering.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Robburk

1998 Grand Am stalling

Unread post by Robburk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Have a Pontiac Grand Am 3400 security light is on constantly isn’t blinking just on. I guess my issue is they put a new crankshaft sensor in behind the flywheel or harmonic balancer. I put a new ignition switch in and it still dies after gets warmed up good and if you give it a lot of gas in Rev up. When it comes back down to Idle it kills sometimes. Sounds like something snaps somewhere. I was wondering is there two crankshaft sensors is on this car.

carriedi

Re: GrandAm stalling1998

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 am

you should hook up to a good scanner and see what your engine is doing.. are there any codes stored?

the security light staying on but the car still starting up and run means that you lost the signal to the key while the vehicle was already running. since the engine was running when the failure happened the failsafe will let you start and run, If you clear the code it's possible that it won't let you start if the problem it current.

why did you do the crank sensor? you know a scanner can look at what the engine computer is reading and what it is responding to.

after the engine dies does it start right back up or do you have to wait for a while before it starts back up?

does it die while you are driving down the road or does it only die what it comes back to idle?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.