97 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE V-6 3.1 4DR

shane

97 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE V-6 3.1 4DR

Unread post by shane » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:13 pm

THIS CAR WILL START EVERYTIME AND AFTER 2-3 SEC. SHUTS OFF AS IF YOU JUST TURNED THE KEY OFF. WE ARE STRANDED IN NEW MEXICO AFTER A CAMPING TRIP... CHANGED GAS, CHANGED CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, STILL SAME RESULTS. FUEL PUMP SEEMS TO BE WORKING CAN HEAR IT EVERYTIME, AND WHEN PUMPING GAS OUT OF LINE IT PUMPED LIKE A CHAMP. NO BACK FIRE, NO BURPS, NO HESITATION TO START, JUST WON'T RUN PAST 2-3 SECS, IF YOU GIVE IT GAS IT WILL SCREAM TO 3-4000 RPM'S AND JUST SHUT DOWN... PUZZLED. DON'T HAVE A LOT OF CASH LEFT TO SPEND ON IT... WHAT IS GOING ON? AIR FILTER IS CLEAN. CODES MENTION O2 SENSORS, BUT MECHANIC SAID IT WOULD STILL RUN, BUT BAD. GAS MILEAGE ALSO WENT DOWN THIS MONTH BEFORE PROBLEMS... CAMSHIFT POSITIONING SENSOR CAME UP ON THE CODES AS WELL THAT'S WHY WE CHANGED IT... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAR HAS 195,000 MILES ON IT AND UP UNTILL NOW RAN FANTASTIC... I MEAN REALLY SMOOTH... IT DID START UP 2 TIMES BEFORE THIS, I KEEPED STARTING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, AND IT STARTED. NOW IT WON'T AT ALL... HELP!!!!

ProTech

Re: 97 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE V-6 3.1 4DR

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Ok for starters, please don't use all caps here!!

Secondly, you most likely have a security issue, and you're replacing sensors and trying other things for no reason. Have you noticed if the security light is staying on? It may also say 'theft' instead of 'security'. If so, the most common thing to go out would be the ignition cylinder and Passlock housing. When these fail, it will cause the car to only run for a couple seconds and then die. You'd really need to get the car scanned for body codes to see for sure if this is the problem.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

shane

Unread post by shane » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:48 pm

ok you are right, the theft light is on... when (seldom happens) it starts the light goes out... how do I reset this since it is my car? are you sayn change the key ignition switch?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:32 pm

You would need to replace the ignition cylinder, not the switch.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+