1996 Pontiac Grand AM Ignition locked

mhoward93

1999 Pontiac Grand am ignition locked up

Unread post by mhoward93 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:25 pm

Our 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT's ignition is completely locked up. We bought a new ignition lock, but think there is a different problem for it to lock up like that. Any suggestions?

Re: 1999 Pontiac Grand am ignition locked up

Unread post by Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Did you purchase a new ignition lock cylinder, or the ignition switch?

jnbarlow

1996 Pontiac Grand AM Ignition locked

Unread post by jnbarlow » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

I have a 96 Pontiac Grand AM SE. Recently, the car would not turn off. I could start it, but the key won't turn back past the ON position. Another quirky thing is that NONE of the accessories work (heater, wipers, radio) but the rear defrost light is on. In a pinch, I've bi-passed the two ignition wires with toggle switches so I can at least turn the car off, but none of the accessories will come on. I've tried to connect 12v directly to the accessory wire in the ignition wiring harness and still nothing (this worked on the two ignition wires). I know the ignition cylinder is screwed up, but the accessories not coming on after applying voltage to the wire makes me think there is another electrical problem further up the chain. Is there a relay that the accessory wire goes to?

So two things I guess:
1. Why is the ignition froze? - not so important
2. Why do my accessories not have power? - much more important.

Tommy

Re: 1996 Pontiac Grand AM Ignition locked

Unread post by Tommy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 am

With all of these things going on, with toggle switches, etc. this would be hard to diag.
The key not turning all the way back is either an ignition cylinder problem, or aproblem in the floor shift console. There is a solenoid to let the key release and turn to OFF. It powers another solenoid in the column.
The power feed problem sounds like a a problem in one of the fuse boxes. If you are sure you are powering up the correct wires to those accessories, then the problem may be in the distribution at the fuses for each circuit- bad fuse box.

jnbarlow

Unread post by jnbarlow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 am

The toggle switches are literally just inline with the two ignition wires so I can turn the car off. What you said does make sense for what I'm seeing. It is acting like the mechanism that locks the ignition when you turn the car off is also preventing me from turning it off. If it is somehow tied to the accessory power, then it would make sense that the lock wouldn't disengage.

I've spot checked fuses that make sense, but I'll have to go through and check each one individually and probably do a continuity check on each socket to figure out what is going on. If I had a diagram of the ignition system/fuse box it would make this much easier :)

jnbarlow

Unread post by jnbarlow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

The toggle switches are literally just inline with the two ignition wires so I can turn the car off. What you said does make sense for what I'm seeing. It is acting like the mechanism that locks the ignition when you turn the car off is also preventing me from turning it off. If it is somehow tied to the accessory power, then it would make sense that the lock wouldn't disengage.

I've spot checked fuses that make sense, but I'll have to go through and check each one individually and probably do a continuity check on each socket to figure out what is going on. If I had a diagram of the ignition system/fuse box it would make this much easier :)