Brandon

2.3l quad 4 problems

Unread post by Brandon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:45 am

If I put my car into gear too soon after starting it, it sets a

trouble code 26 "Quad Driver Module". I recently replaced my

computer because of other problems I'm still having. (no

acceleration in reverse, bad gas mileage, code 13, slow up

hills, and poor acceleration from a stop). I recently replaced

my computer, oxygen sensor, spark plugs and wires(boots).

Could code 13 be being set either because my catalytic

converter was cut out by a previous owner, or from the leak

where my exhaust pipes connect before the muffler? Could

those things also affect my poor performance?

I just noticed my cat has been cut off and will have a new on shortly.

TechBob

Re: 2.3l quad 4 problems

Unread post by TechBob » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes, the code 13 could be set for those reasons.
code 13 may also be contributing to the acceleration problem, but not the stalling. Maybe a leaking fuel ressure regulator.
that may be related to the Quad driver code. There are several quaddrivers in the computer, each control 4 items.
could be anything from an evappurge solenoid to a transmission torque converter solenoid.

Brandon

Unread post by Brandon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks for your response, I've got some new info on it.

Today while my wife was driving the car it wouldn't change gears at about 40mph, so she let off on the gas a little hoping it would shift, when she returned to push the gas it acted as if it was in neutral. After a minute it reengaged.

After researching this new symptom on the internet I found this is probably a Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid, which would cause the lack of power, bad gas mileage, code 26 and stalling (I forgot to mention that when we come to stop lights it acts like it wants to stall sometimes we have to put in neutral to keep it running).

So looks like this could be the problem, problem is I have no knowledge on this subject. If this sounds like it could be the correct diagnosis, could you share some insight on the TCC, anything will help. Where is the solenoid? How do I test it? How do I replace it if necessary? Where's the wiring, so I can check the ground and such?

Thanks

TechBob

Unread post by TechBob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Yes, the TCC could be some of your problems.
It is also a good idea to replace the 2nd and 3rd gear switches.
Thes are located inside the side coder of the transmission.
The side is remved by taking off the shift lonkage bracket from under the hood. Then remove the uper side cover bolts. Now go through the drivers side wheel well and remove the inner splash shied, thenthe rest of the side cover bolts. Depending on your model, there may be a large mountand bracket in the way. If so, this would have to come off. This requires supporting the engine and trans. from above, then lowering the driver side of the frame in order to get the mount and bracket off.
The TTC soleoind comes with its harnes, the other 2 switches do not. They just screw into the valvebody.

Brandon

Unread post by Brandon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 am

I know you can test the coil pack, coil housing, and cover on my 2.3 quad 4 with a voltmeter. The thing I forgot is how to test them and what the readings should be. Is there anyway you have this information.

Thank you

When I changed the plugs I noticed discoloring of the housing. Maybe this is causing some of my problems?