Quantcast

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 2
I have a 94 buick park avenue that has an idle problem. I recently had the harmonic balancer replaced and ever since it likes to idle high and hold high rpms during driving or sometimes when it gets down to normal rpms either by itself while idling or when i come to a stop it starts to struggle and a couple times it has died. I have looked at all the vaccum lines and they are all attached so i checked the accelerator arm and that seems fine. Looked at the intake manifold and everything seems fine there. I do know i have an exhaust leak from where the donut gasket goes but that was like that before the balancer replacement and it didnt have this problem. Any ideas, maybe harmonic balancer on too far or not enough? Also it doesnt want to communicate with a scanner. Also i dont have a service engine soon light on anymore.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2002
just because you said you have this problem after replacing your harmonic balancer I would take a good look at your crank sensor. (and the connector) Make sure it's still lined up good and tight. That being said, it is very common for this computer to go out. I would use a scanner and look at your TPS, fuel trims, O2 sensor...

A vacuum leak is a common cause for high idle. The unmetered air will cause the O2 sensor to read lean so the PCM will add fuel to fix the exhaust from running lean. More air and more fuel at idle means more rpm's.

You could try a hard reset on the pcm and see if the idle returns to normal after driving it and relearning the idle

Why did you have the balancer replaced if it didn't have this problem before?

contributions: 2
The rubber that connected the balancer to the pulley part had finally broken apart so i was getting a loud scrapping sound from it, because the pulley part was pretty much free spinning.

Ask A Question Reply