1999 Buick Park Avenue anti lock & traction control lights.

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
dbbrown

1999 Buick Park Avenue anti lock & traction control lights.

Unread post by dbbrown » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:11 pm

The anti lock and traction control lights come on after the car driven about 100'. No trouble codes. Where should I look first?

MeccBoy

Re: 1999 Buick Park Avenue anti lock & traction control lights.

Unread post by MeccBoy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:12 am

If the ABS light is on, then code(s) are stored in the computer. If you had a free scan at a parts store or repair shop, they do not usually scan the ABS computer. They only scan the Powertrain module (PCM), so no code would show up. You need to get the ABS computer scanned for codes. Then we can help with the problem. Too many possibilities.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 1999 Buick Park Avenue anti lock & traction control ligh

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Most common cause for the ABS and Traction light is a bad wheel speed sensor. The front are most common. The sensor is part of the wheel bearing hub. Also be sure to check the wiring to the sensor. We have seen many times a broken wire cause intermittant lights that may not set a code.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

Deniene29

my 2002 buick lesabre ABS Traction

Unread post by Deniene29 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:50 am

I hit a very large pothole and my "abs" light and traction control off light came on. Now it's telling Me system needs stability. I don't know what to do.

carriedi

Re: my 2002 buick lesabre ABS Traction

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:56 pm

you need to have your anti-lock brake module scanned. You may have set a code when you hit the pothole if the wheel speed changed from what the other three wheels were reading. You may have damaged a wheel speed sensor or wiring.

if you hook up to a scanner you can see what the code is and you can drive the car and watch the wheel speed sensors to see if one of them isn't working as the others.

when the abs or traction lights come on it means that these systems have seen a code and are now disabled. Normal braking should still be ok. Key word there is "should". I don't know how big that pothole was...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Deniene29

Unread post by Deniene29 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:52 am

Everything seems to be working just fine breaks squeak a little. Seeing the lights on really bothers me. Where can I go to have the code read.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:24 pm

Almost any auto repair shop would have a scanner that could look at the codes and let you know what is turning the light on. Some auto parts places will scan your vehicle for free because they want to sell you parts but most of the time they don't know what the codes really mean. Unless the code simply syates a part is damaged, there will be some diagnostic time involved in figuring out why the light came on.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.