Buick Lesabre lights problem

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
BobbyJoeCool

Strange Electrics? Check Engine/ABS lights

Unread post by BobbyJoeCool » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 am

My car (1992 Buick LeSabre) was idling while I was ran inside a store quick the other day, and when I came back, the Check Engine light and the ABS light were on, and the engine was struggling. I pushed lightly on the gas, and the interior lights and headlight (which were on), went VERY dim, and when I let go of the gas, the car died. I turned the key to restart the car, nothing happened. No sound, no turn, nothing. But all the interior lights, headlights, and radio still worked.

I went inside and asked if someone could give me a jump, see if that would help, before they got to where I was parked, I tried to start it again just to see, and this time it clicked rapidly, but the engine did not turn. We got the cables hooked up and the car started just fine, no extra lights were on. I drove it home (about 15 minutes or so) and let it idle for about 10 more minutes (to charge the battery), and the lights came back on.

This time, the engine did not sound like it was struggling, but I looked at the spedometer and it was pinned at 100MPH (the car is in Park). I pushed on the gas, and the spedometer just went crazy, as the lights dimmed drastically again. And again, when I let my foot off the gas, the car died. Tried to start it, same result. No sound, no turn, no nothing. The next day, I went to my car and it's doing the clicking thing again, but still won't start.

The battery has not been checked, but is 3 years old (they have usually lasted me 6-8 years). The alternator is 2 months old (brand new at instalation), and the ignition (where you put the key into the car) was replaced about a month ago because a wire in the security system was broken and the whole thing needed to be replaced.

Anyone know what I should look for? I thought it might be something weird in the electrical, but not sure where to even start looking.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Strange Electrics? Check Engine/ABS lights

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:57 pm

First things first- have the battery tested. They can act very weird. Sometimes they test fine, but still are bad. Check all ground wires you can find under the hood- on the engine block at the trans, inner fender wells, pull on harnesses, etc. If just the ignition cylinder for the security was replaced and not the ignition switch, i would suspect that as well.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

wmoc

Buick Lesabre lights problem

Unread post by wmoc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 pm

2004 buick lesabre bright lights will not work and the lamps are good

carriedi

Re: Buick Lesabre lights problem

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:04 pm

are you getting power to the high beam fuses in the underhood fuse panel? if you don't have power to the fuses the relay may not be turning on.You have a low beam relay and a high beam relay in the same fuse panel as the high and low beam fuses. See if the high beam relay is clicking as you turn the high beams on and off. If the relay clicks every time but you never get power to the high beam fuses you either have a bad contact in the relay of you don't have power to the C1 pin on the relay. switch the high and low beam relays to see if there is a problem with the relay. If switching the relays doesn't make any difference then you will need to verify the high beam circuit is working.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.