2000 Buick Lights flashing off and on interior and exterior

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Nascar2448

2000 Buick Lights flashing off and on interior and exterior

Unread post by Nascar2448 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 am

On my 2000 Buick lesabre the exterior and interior and the climate control keep flashing on and off and I did replace the headlight switch and I can hear the air flow door trying to open or close keeps clicking back and forth and the exterior temp gage flashing to help please.

ProTech

Re: 2000 Buick Lights flashing off and on interior and exter

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 pm

More than likely you have a faulty Body Control Module. This is a common thing to fail and cause very strange electrical problems, such as the lights flashing. I actually just installed a new one last week on a car that was doing the exact same thing.

Before replacement, though, you might want to get it checked out at the dealer anyway, since if you do need a new BCM, the dealer will have to program it and set it up for your particular vehicle.

Other things that may cause a similar condition would be a faulty ignition switch, a wiring problem or short somewhere, aftermarket alarms and remote starters, and the like.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

thorneberry

Unread post by thorneberry » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:26 am

I have similar problem with my dads car the lights flash on and off all night drains the battery dead and also hear clickin noise in the dash if I play with the dimmer on the lights it will stop for a while is this ecm or bcm and is this something I can replace my self or does it have to be done by a mechanic

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

thorneberry wrote:I have similar problem with my dads car the lights flash on and off all night drains the battery dead and also hear clickin noise in the dash if I play with the dimmer on the lights it will stop for a while is this ecm or bcm and is this something I can replace my self or does it have to be done by a mechanic
Depending on what type of car you have, this does sound like a bad BCM (Body Control Module). That is the module that controls the lights. It is for sure not the ECM.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 pm

You may have a throttle body and plate full of carbon or the IAC valve in sticking- which can also be caused by carbon. Clean the throttle real well and take it for a drive on the highway to blow it all out.
Remove the Idle Air Control valve and clean it also. Do not move the pintle or you can damage it. If none of this helps, you will need to have the IAC tested.