Can't get my car started after replacing my blown engine

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
krs.malardo

Can't get my car started after replacing my blown engine

Unread post by krs.malardo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 am

Hello, I own a 1993 vr 3.8l v6 commodore station wagon. About 3 weeks ago I was driving and my car just died. A friend came to help and we discovered my engine was blown. We replaced the engine with one out of a 3.8l vr statesman (Exactly the same engine). the starter motor was used from my old engine as well as the alternator and the oil pressure sensor was replaced but the car won't start. when the key is turned it sounds like its going to start but doesn't kick over. We also tried jump starting it but that failed too. What could the problem be?

carriedi

Re: Can't get my car started after replacing my blown engine

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am

Do you know what the American version of the vehicle would be? Lumina with a buick 3.8L?

If the engine cranks over normally check for the basics. did you check for spark, spark timing, fuel pressure and fuel injection pulse?

what's missing?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

krs.malardo

Unread post by krs.malardo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am

I'm guessing it would be a Lumina with a buick 3.8L.. I'm not quite sure... We have replaced the spark plugs with a new set of NKG. But as for the spark timing and fuel, We haven't checked that but we did replace the fuel rail and injectors. Engine still cranks up but still no turn over.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:11 am

engine cranking and engine turning over is the same thing here. It just means that the starter is making the crankshaft spin. It is the beginning of the process. Pull a spark plug wire off and see if you have an ignition spark while someone cranks the engine over. If you don't have spark from the coil then you should check to see if the crank sensor is sending a signal out. If you do have spark, check for fuel injection pulse. With your key in the run position your fuel injectors should have voltage. unplug one injector and use a test light and check to see if you have battery voltage to the injector. If there is voltage that lights up your test light the next step is to check for the ground pulse from the ecm. With an injector unplugged arrange the test light so that you are testing the current from one terminal of the harness connector to the other terminal. Crank the engine and see if the test light flashes. (blinks while you are cranking) If you have a blink while you are cranking that means the injector has a pulse and should be firing. Check for fuel pressure ate the port on the fuel rail. It should be 41-47psi. (2.88-3.30 kg/cm(2)) for port fuel injection (since you said you have a fuel rail)

On this type of ignition system sometimes the coil shorts out and damages the ignition module. You would need to use a lab scope and check the signals to the ignition module to find out what you have and what you don't have.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.