1998 Buick Lesabre no instrument lights and won't start

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
locklin58

1998 Buick Lesabre no instrument lights and won't start

Unread post by locklin58 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am

I have a 1998 Buick lesabre custom, It won't start. All of the instrument panel lights are off when I turn the Key forward to crank. they will come on as I jiggle it in the start position and the starter turns over and the car starts. But upon releasing the key it dies. I have replaced the Key Lock Cylinder with new resistance key, with the same results. Help ! The security light is on in the brief moment the car starts and, or however long I hold the key in the run position.

carriedi

Re: 1998 Buick Lesabre no instrument lights and won't start

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am

is the security light on or flashing?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:02 pm

locklin58 wrote:I have a 1998 Buick lesabre custom, It won't start. All of the instrument panel lights are off when I turn the Key forward to crank. they will come on as I jiggle it in the start position and the starter turns over and the car starts. But upon releasing the key it dies. I have replaced the Key Lock Cylinder with new resistance key, with the same results. Help ! The security light is on in the brief moment the car starts and, or however long I hold the key in the run position.
Sounds like you have an ignition switch problem. Wiggling key also wiggles to ignition switch. The ignition switch feeds most of the car electrical system. If the lights only come on when moving it around, then it sound like a bad switch.

locklin58

Unread post by locklin58 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:22 am

The security light does not come on as you 1st attempt to start the engine. The key and the switch along with the key lock cylinder have all been replaced and as for the key a new key with resistor was made. Yet the before mentioned problems still exist.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:09 am

ok, let me see if I get the right picture, You turn the key to run. the dash lights light up like normal. No security light. You turn to start and the engine cranks over but the engine doesn't start. Or does the engine not crank over? If the engine does turn over but doesn't start you will need someone to help you out. Someone needs to check if you have fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse when you crank the engine over. If you have spark and fuel pressure but the injector pulse turns off when you turn the key back to the run position the security is turning off your engine. If you don't have 48 to 55 psi fuel pressure key on engine off, look for a fuel delivery problem. If you don't have spark look at the crank sensor. If the car doesn't crank over check the yellow wire from the ignition switch to the starter enable relay.

have you tried to leave the ignition in "run" and use a remote starter?

locklin58

Unread post by locklin58 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 am

I state once again, that the instruments do not light up with the key in the run position. Only in the crank position do they light up. When the key is released to disengage the starter as the car is running, the engine dies.all lights are on while in the crank position.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 am

locklin58 wrote:I have a 1998 Buick lesabre custom, It won't start. All of the instrument panel lights are off when I turn the Key forward to crank. they will come on as I jiggle it in the start position and the starter turns over and the car starts. But upon releasing the key it dies. I have replaced the Key Lock Cylinder with new resistance key, with the same results. Help ! The security light is on in the brief moment the car starts and, or however long I hold the key in the run position.
lets start from the beginning. there is off, acc, run, start. Crank and start would be the same. Lights off when I turn key forward to crank tells me no lights in start. It didn't tell me lights off in run. So the lights are off in run but are on in start then?

Power into the ignition switch is the red wire from the IGN sw 60a fuse in the left maxi fuse block.

Power Out of The ignition switch has a pink wire that is supposed to be Batt+ in run, bulb test and start. It powers up fuses for injector fuse 7, pcm fuse 8, fuel pmp fuse 6, engine obd2 fuse 5, and other stuff. Check to see if power is active on that wire key in run and start. you can check it at the wire or just check it at one of the fuses.

orange wire hot in run. brown wire hot in acc, run. light blue hot in run. yellow wire hot in start. But Pink is the main one to check first.
Attachments
98 lesabre ing sw.jpg
Buick Lesabre ignition switch picture.
98 lesabre ing sw.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 24240 times

Digger

1996 Buick Lesabre no instrument lights and won't start

Unread post by Digger » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am

I have a 1996 Buick LeSabre. Wife was stranded at a trailhead parking lot thinking battery was dead. Upon arrival, tried to jump it but will not crank. Turning key to run allows the radio, blower, etc. to work but, NO lights on light strip across dash (ABS, CHECK ENGINE, etc.) and the gauges do not move (battery, water, oil, etc.). No solenoid clicking on starter. Checked all fuses and all are OK. Thought security issue but, cannot see the security light since I believe it is on the strip of lights that will not light. Had battery tested and cleaned/checked battery connections. HELP!!!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 pm

sounds like you may have a connection problem. you should have your ignition switch circuits checked.

there is two red wires that bring battery voltage to the ignition switch. One comes from ing switch fuse the other one is from ign switch accessory fuse.

If they both check out good then check the output from the ignition switch. Yellow is the color for the starter enable relay. Orange is the color for the wire that supplies power to the instrument panel fuse block. at the ignition switch connector the light blue wire goes to power up the instrument cluster via IGN OFF/UNLOCK fuse 3E in the instrument panel fuse block.

See what is happening on these wires and let me know what you find out